IS THERE ANY HUMANS AT DABS .COM?

SANAP 18:40 22 Nov 04

I mistakenly bought a gerforce 2 mx 400 to replace my geforce 256 graphics card but when I opened it and compared it with my gerforce 256 I noticed that it did not have a ribbon connection for dvd hardware accelerator card. I assumed that this connector was a given but I was wrong. I now want to return said card to DABS and exchange it for a DabsValue GeForce 4 Ti4200 64MB AGP as this I am told will run DVD's better than the mx 400. It is a faster chip.
But when I contacted DABS I got an automated response, had to wait about 4 days, was told to log on to my account and click on returns, then gave my reason, goods not suitable, but this was rejected as a reason for return, so told to put in a brief note and send it to customer services but the system wont forward my request to customer services!!Went to email that suggested I pursue the abouve course of action, presssed reply on that sent off my reason and YES got another automated response!! Is there a telephone no?

I will pay all the extra costs so am not asking the earth.

help

sanap

961 19:10 22 Nov 04

There is no telephone number for consumer purchases. Dabs uses e-mail only

I have to say your heading does not help your cause

When did you buy the card?

SANAP 19:25 22 Nov 04

Well I hope u buy something at DABS and have to return it. Item was dispatched 10/11/04, received by me 14/11/04, emailed dabs 17/11/04, got automated response today, 22/11/04. I consider my request quite reasonable. I am now getting inundated with automAted responses, this could be sorted with a quick phone call. All I want is a straight yes or no. Then I go elsewhere and they lose my business simple as that.

By the way do u work for DABS?

And sorry about the heading but reading my message explains my point. There are no names to the emails.

sanap

fourjays 21:07 22 Nov 04

I belive Dabs will only accept returns on faulty products. I have used them for a month or so now, without troubles. The moral of the story, is if you are buying online, be sure the product has everything you need (ie: Check the manufacturers website first, for the full features, then make sure the exact model is the one you buy). ;)

Forum Editor 22:41 22 Nov 04

by being rude to the people who offer you help and advice SANAP. Comments like "Well I hope u buy something at DABS and have to return it" and "By the way do u work for DABS?" are completely unacceptable. You asked for help, and we're providing it.

Under current comsumer law you have a right to return goods bought online within 7 days of delivery without providing a reason - Dabs may not refuse to accept the return, provided the goods are in good condition, and returned in the original packaging. The fact that the company only accepts email as a means of contact is not your problem - you notified them that you intended to return the card, and you did so within the specified time period, and you did it in writing.

The fact that you received an automated response is not necessarily a bad sign - lots of companies do this, and then follow up with a personal email. If you haven't heard from Dabs within 48 hours I suggest that you write to them:

Dabs.com,

Direct House,

Wingates Industrial Park,

Westhoughton.

Bolton BL5 3XD

Telling them that you notified them of your wish to return goods within the 7 day period allowed under consumer legislation, and that if you don't hear from them within 7 days you will be taking the matter to Trading Standards.

Be firm, but polite, and do NOT make the kind of comment with which you titled this thread.

SANAP 00:17 23 Nov 04

Now just hang on a minute FE don't get off on the wrong track and read into my postings inferences that are not there. This is a consumerwatch. I should have put the question a bit better possibly but it was a serious one. If there is no way to speak to a person at DABS then a posting can say that. The 1st posting to mine answered my query but then went on to say I was not helping my cause? And then asked when I bought the card.I assumed that this person worked for DABS and they could have said so or not replied. By saying I hope u never have to return anything to DABS is a statement of fact, nothing malicious or sarcastic, look at the problems I am having.

To recap, I emailed DABS through the contact facility on their website, there is no other way. I got an automated response 18/11/04 to say they would respond within 10 hours. I did not get a response until 22/11/04, that is a lot more than 10 hours. The emailed solution to my problem was twofold, a) They, and I dont know who because there is no name on the email, suggested I contact the manafacturer of the card for a solution, I had said in my 1st email that the card did not have a ribbon cable connection so was not suitable. No point in contacting the manufacturer, b) second solution said go to my account, check my order and if it had a blue symbol against it then I could return it. I did that clicked on the blue symbol and was then asked for a reason, I was only given 3 choices, I chose, item not suitable, clicked continue and next screen said, reason not acceptable for an automated return contact customer sevices. I then add comments wrong card etc, click continue but the screen just rolls over and it does not appear as if my message has been sent. I tried this 3 times, same result. I then went back to the email that suggested the 2 solutions and used reply button. That went and almost immediately I got the automated response " 10 hours etc. I was honest with my answer to the problem but my point was" If a person read my 1st email then a person could make the decision. I am probaly not entitled to send it back instead of a dearer card, which defeats me by the way, but at least I should have got a better answer.

So I am assuming the whole thing is automated and unless I fulfil the precise reasons for returning an item then tough. I found it a bit hard to take that when I put in a reason for returning the item it was rejected, why put in a reason that the sytem is going to bounce out!!

I am not a pc expert so the only time I knew the new card was not correct was when I opened it and once u have opened it u can't return it.

If I had bought it in a shop then I could have gone back and explained my predicament and they would either have taken it back and offset it against the dearer card or said sorry no can do.

Anyway if anyone on here was offended by my posting it was not intended and I apologise.

It was a simple question.

I'll buy a 2nd hand card on ebay and forget about dabs.

bremner 08:34 23 Nov 04

"the only time I knew the new card was not correct was when I opened it and once u have opened it u can't return it."

Untrue as the FE has explained

"Under current comsumer law you have a right to return goods bought online within 7 days of delivery without providing a reason - Dabs may not refuse to accept the return, provided the goods are in good condition, and returned in the original packaging."

Stuartli 09:44 23 Nov 04

It has been impossible to contact dabs by telephone for some considerable time - it's not an encouraging situation.

The chances of a forum member actually working for dabs and posting a reply in this thread are pretty slim.

By the way, whilst realising exactly what you meant by your thread title, you should have used the word "Are", not "Is".....

961 10:41 23 Nov 04

Although I don't work for Dabs I do know, as a customer, how their system works

It is not very customer friendly especially to someone who orders for the first time

The automated returns system does work but, in my experience, is best avoided

The way to do that has to be to order only once you are quite certain that the product is for you

You also need to be certain that the product is shown as "in stock" and in sufficient numbers to ensure it won't be "out of stock" by the time your order reaches distribution. Out of stock but expected soon depends entirely on manufacturers delivering when they say they will

After all that, the prices will be good and the delivery inexpensive and prompt (Parcelforce allowing)

Another mail order supplier is Novatech, who have just won a magazine award as supplier of the year.They may not be quite as cheap as Dabs on some lines and their delivery may not always arrive so quickly, but they are good and they do have consumer phone lines, both for ordering and for problems

wee eddie 18:29 23 Nov 04

I have read your postings and after careful reading, managed to understand the problems you are having.

While grammatical correctness and an element of punctuation are not essential. They do make it much easier to understand the nature of your distress.

I have read your postings and after careful reading managed to understand the problems you are having while grammatical correctness and an element of punctuation are not essential they do make it much easier to understand the nature of your distress

Forum Editor 19:53 23 Nov 04

you appear to be unable to appreciate that we're trying to help, and I'll thank you not to tell me to

"..just hang on a minute FE don't get off on the wrong track and read into my postings inferences that are not there".

I didn't get off on any wrong track at all - you were rude in your response to 961's post, and I'm not prepared to stand back and do nothing when I see that happening. If you want us to help you we will, but kindly have the manners to discuss the matter without getting so annoyed. I did my best to explain your position as far as the law is concerned, and I provided you with a postal address. I was acting on the information you provided. You're incorrect in saying that "once u have opened it u can't return it", but if you've decided that you don't want to pursue the matter further that's your affair.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…