//some 3rd party need geo

Thanks to IBL Parts

Taran 13:48 06 Sep 04

This is just a quick note of thanks for some truly excellent service.

In this thread click here I asked for help in obtaining a replacement mainboard for an IBM Thinkpad T20 laptop.

The idea was to get the system up and running as a gift for a close friend's daughter who is about to start university.

IBM wanted £523.17 plus VAT for the system board itself, £150 plus VAT labour to fit it and £50 plus VAT to check the system out to begin with and verify the problem.

After many unsuccessful attempts to locate a suitable component I called a company called IBL Parts click here last week. They took my details and although they did not have the part available from stock, they promised to call me back after running a search. Their rationale was that they would be able to source almost any component while I, in all likelihood, would not be ablt to find what I was looking for.

They were right.

They called back within minutes after using my notebbook product number to verify that the part they had found was indeed the correct system board for my particular notebook. I confirmed my order over the telephone and two days later the system board was delivered by courier.

That delivery time would have normally been cut in half, they said, had the part actually been held in stock. The extra day to deliver was to get the sourced product from its location to them, and from them on to me.

The notebook is now up and running and, along with its docking station, a 30GB external hard drive, an external USB CDRW, the swappable floppy and DVD ROM drives and an HP printer I had lying around, has now been safely delivered to its very happy new owner.

All's well that ends well and my heartfelt thanks go to IBL Parts for helping me find the part to begin with along with their excellent rapid delivery service. Without their kind assistance I doubt I would have even found a suitable product at all.

Stuartli 15:36 06 Sep 04

Good to hear of good service - it's comparatively rare compared to the complaints.

I presume you also made some financial saving over IBM?

Taran 02:16 07 Sep 04

The system board was a refurbished item and supplied by IBL Parts for £120 plus VAT and delivery (total of £150 and change) so yes, a slight saving over the IBM option was realised...

This has always ben a failing of IBM for their laptops. The cost to repair/replace a system board often means the machine has to be scrapped.

It was a realistic solution - I had to draw the line before I reached the point where I'd be buying a brand new system or spending the equivalent in replacement parts. As it stands I don't mind this level of cost to help out my friend's daughter and if the machine gets stolen or damaged at UNI it's a bearable loss.

Stuartli 09:19 07 Sep 04

I would have thought it rated a bit better than "a slight saving"..:-)

Lot of difference between £523 + VAT and £120 + VAT whether refurbished or not..:-)

I know from my two offspring just how valuable a tool a computer proves whilst they are working (and playing) hard at uni.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…