TFT screens - better than CRT?

Rikardos 11:09 10 Jun 03

I've always been biased towards CRT screens and for my latest PC I'm looking at a Mitsubishi Diamondtron 930SB screen, as I'm looking for a good screen for web design work and for playing games (especially first-person shooters).

However, the size of my flat means that space is a premium and so I was looking at a 18" TFT instead but would like the following queries answered by any of you with TFT's (or indeed why you still have a CRT instead):

1) is it particularly noticable when you change resolutions up and down (i.e. use a lower res. when playing games but a higher res. for using Dreamweaver for more screen space) - does it have a derogatory effect on the graphics?
2) Are TFT's good for first-person shooters - is ghosting still effecting the graphics (I played one once and it was particularly noticable and was one of the reasons why I initially shyed away from TFT's)
3) is it easier on the eyes?

Many thanks for your help!

Spen 11:34 10 Jun 03

Lo Rickardos-

You can get a decent TFT to handle the job but be prepared to part with a hefty wad of mula.

Most 18-inch TFT's support a max res of 1280x1024- you'll be hard pressed to get 1600x1200.

More important than res for a TFT is candelas, contrast ratio and response time. If you can track down a model with about 350 candelas, a 400:1 contrast ratio and a 20ms response time you'll have no trouble playing first person shooters.

Spencer Dalziel

Senior Reviews Writer

-pops- 11:48 10 Jun 03

There is extensive writing on this subject in these pages. The conclusion is that half the people hate TFT, half love them.

It really is a matter of personal choice. Best thing is to try both and see whaich one you prefer.

Rikardos 12:24 10 Jun 03

'Allo Spencer, cheers for the quick reply -

What's the candelas out of interest? I've heard of the response time and the contrast ratio but not of this.

Most of the TFT's I've seen are advertised around 24ms - is that enough for gaming?

And finally, flipping between low and high resolutions - does this have an effect on the output on screen? It's not so much the highest resolutions that I am interested in (- it's hard to read the text at these res's anyway) but is there any noticable blockyness when you switch? I'm thinking of programs that use lower resolutions such as MAME and other older games which I still tend to play.

Mr Pointy 12:54 10 Jun 03

Hi,
I'm also interested in whether TFT's are any good at lower resolutions than their "native" setting. I know someone who is visually impaired, who needs a large screen, but also sets the resolution to it's lowest so that text and images are at their largest. Would this person be better sticking with a large CRT to display low res on a big screen?!
Thanks

vinnyT 14:52 10 Jun 03

Mr Pointy, I think it would prob be better for your friend to stick with crt, as these are better for displaying many diff res's.

It may also help to contact the people who will be better equipped to answer your ?s' in respect of your friend, the RNIB at click here their contact numbers are on the website. Hope this helps.

Rayuk 18:18 10 Jun 03

For gaming there are now a few 17" with 16ms response times.

I have an Hitachi CML174SXW and have been impressed with its performance.

Also with 16ms are Nec1760,Benq have a look
click here

If you look in their forums under General Hardware there are plenty of threads on the subject of tfts one such

click here

Djohn 18:43 10 Jun 03

I have the AOC720 as tested in "Rayuk's" second link, very pleased with it, excellent quality and value for money. Don't play many games, but the one's I do are displayed as good as any CRT.

Flies through the 3d mark test, and no problems with DVD movies. Using word and other Office programs within Windows is a pleasure, due to the sharp text and graphics display. j.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…