TFT prices

reddwarfcrew 10:19 09 Oct 04

Anyone have any opinions on when 17in TFT prices will drop and how low do we think they'll get to over the next 6 mths.

Mr Mistoffelees 13:38 09 Oct 04

TFT prices are dropping all the time. If you want one you are going to have to take the plunge sometime. When you think the price is acceptable to you, just go for it. If you keep waiting to see how low they will be next month or in 6 months you will never get one.

Stuartli 13:49 09 Oct 04

That's true, in fact, for virtually all computer systems, peripherals and components - if you keep waiting for the price to drop even more then you will never take the plunge.

In the meantime you could have been enjoying using whatever you wished to buy.

17in TFTs can be acquired for well under £300 from outlets such as:

click here

Using a price check website such as click here click here or click here will provide a guide.

reddwarfcrew 13:58 09 Oct 04

.....but TFTs are still a premium product and are only just becoming common place as part of a new pc system, so can we expect a sudden plunge in price within the next 6 mths as they become more popular.

eg I bought a DVDRW in dec 2003 for £100 (single layer, 4x speed LG model). 6mths later and DVDRWs were more common place and you can now get an LG dual layer 12x speed for less than £50.

I expect though, that the price of DVDRW (whilst will still drop) has levelled out a bit and won't see the sudden dramatic fall as we have over the last 6mths.

The same happened with standalone DVD players a couple of years back.

Do we expect this sudden drop in price with tft's in the next 6 mths? EG will a 17in tft costing £250 now only cost £125 in March '05 or will they still just be on a gradual drop in price.

Do you see where I am coming from?

Diodorus Siculus 14:13 09 Oct 04

I don't believe that the prices will drop very much - what may happen, as with many PC components, is that you will get more for your money.

For example, a 17inch tft costs, say £300. It will have a response time of 25ms and a contrast ratio of
contrast Ratio : 450:01:00

In 6 months it may still cost £300 or so but a better response time and contrast ratio.

Look at graphics cards - top of the range cards always seem to cost about £300 - but the £300 you spent even 6 months ago would go much further today.

Anyway, that is a very simplistic way of looking at things but is the way pc pricing seems to go. And, for what it's worth, your example of the DVD RW drives disproves it. [And I am famous for being able to argue against myself twice or three times in the course of one paper!]

Stuartli 14:45 09 Oct 04

Rewriters, both CD and DVD, were always way over their true price level when first introduced - the technology was basically the same as for a CD or DVD-ROM drive but with the ability to also record.

That's why prices eventually dropped so dramatically and explains why you can now buy a CD-RW drive for around £20 or so and a DVD version for £45-£60; even a top brand name floppy drive is under £5.

Diodorus Siculus is right with his view that specifications will rise and prices remain stable or even drop.

When the first 286 based computer systems came out nearly 20 years ago the price was always around £1,000 - that price was pretty static with the 386 and 486 follow ups, but specs rose.

I've got an Action catalogue from September 1995 and the prices in that for memory, CD-ROM drivers and rewriters, CD-R and CD-RW disks, CPUs etc would make your eyes water...:-)

In fact in the case of some of the basic memory modules the price involved would buy you a pretty respectable complete system today.

Rayuk 15:57 09 Oct 04

Also to note there are negotiations going on right now that could result in any tfts with a DVI connector coming from outside the EEC to have a 14% levy put on them.
click here

carver 21:26 09 Oct 04

I bought my TFT monitor 10 months ago and in that time the price has dropped by the fantastic amount of £20. If you wait the only thing you manage to achieve is frustration at not having what you want or need. A Rayuk has pointed out what if they rise.

JonnyTub 00:17 10 Oct 04

Rayuk (streetfighter) hits the nail on the head with regard to dvi connectable tft's, they are going to rise (quite sharply) in price by 14%, so for example a £300 monitor will soon cost £342!!

paddy75 00:43 10 Oct 04

Try this site i think it is the cheapest i have found for monitors.Paddy.....click here

paddy75 00:46 10 Oct 04

Sorry, try this.Paddy....click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…