//some 3rd party need geo

TFT Monitors: what a minefield!

Smallus Minimus 18:37 04 Sep 03

I am intending to replace my Dell 19" (ordinary) monitor with something at least as large in the flat screen (is that the same as TFT?) department. There seems to be such a vast variety of flat-screen monitors at such vastly differing prices, I hardly know where to begin.
Questions:
Am I right in understanding that 17" flat-screen is the same as 19" 'ordinary')?
Are there any technicalities I should be aware of?
Why do the prices vary so much for apparently similar products?
Is viewing quality fairly consistent?
What does TFT mean?!

Any advice at all would be very much appreciated.
Fanx.

Rayuk 18:42 04 Sep 03

Thin-Film Transistor

17" is equivalent to 19" CRT

Depending what you do with your pc,if gaming you want one with a response time of 25ms or less.

Have a search for reviews.One such one click here

wee eddie 19:51 04 Sep 03

This is a way of describing a CRT with minimum bow in the screen but is basically a Cathode Ray Tube.

TFT's are by nature, flat and are probably not described as Flat Screen but as TFT and about 3x the price of a CRT

Patr100 21:04 04 Sep 03

As mentioned if you are a keen gamer then a fast response time is one thing to look for but if you are not then your choice is much wider.

Literally, just before logging onto this site I have just installed and set up a new CTX P922E LCD monitor to replace a huge 22" Iiyama Vision Master Pro 510 CRT

I am absolutely amazed at the quality of the picture and everything I have thrown at it it has coped with with ease.

No, in comparison to the 22" CRT (Which is considered to be one of the best on the market - or was) the image is not quite as sharp, but as far as LCD screens go, it is excellent. Throw in built in USB 2 Hub (4 port) and speakers together with a three year warranty.........

Glad I took the plunge!

P.S. It is a 19" Screen so literally I loose only 0.5" as compared to the 22" Iiyama.

Ironman556 21:54 04 Sep 03

When you buy a TFT check it on totally black and totally white. If any spots show up then you've got a dead pixel. The higher the quality (and hence price) of your monitor, the less likely you are to get one. Some maufacturers (CTX are one I think) guarentee no dead pixels, for others there is an acceptable limit, it you have more than that you can return it for a replacement.

Go for a decent name and you'll have no problems.

Just bought an LG 1710B very pleased with it. Look for my posts in threads or email me if you want my view.

Smallus Minimus 10:51 05 Sep 03

Thanks for taking the trouble to answer questions from a small computer-illiterate girl ... I feel almost knowledgeable about the subject now!

wee eddie 13:09 05 Sep 03

If you use the "Search" Function at the top of the Home page. Checking CRT and TFT, you will probably end up as confused as the rest of us.

It really comes down to:

How much you value the space on your desk. If you're short, then a 17" TFT with built in speakers should give you a great solution and a very good display.

The arguments will be endless, about which is best, but designers whose work is colour sensitive tend to go for CRT's.

Bailey08787 13:27 05 Sep 03

can i have your CRT please?

david.h 18:29 05 Sep 03

saw one in the US played fast games and action dvds superbly and was very cheap, arrived back in the uk only to find its nearly twice the price the dell motherboards and power units are well dodgy but the dell flatscreens are excellent all check the pixel guarentee as some have dreadful guarentees

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…