TFT Monitor Dead Pixel Policy

daba 21:40 16 Jan 07

Question : Are the TFT Monitor manufacturers flaunting the "Sale of Goods Act" with their "dead pixel" policies.

This, taken from the SOG Act ......

"Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety."

....clearly states that goods must be free from minor defects.

My XXXX monitor (no names yet), which had a perfect zero-dead-pixel display, has just been replaced under warranty, due to a power-on fault. The replacement has a dead pixel in a very conspicuous colour and position. I am currently waiting a reply for this to be replaced again.

I must add that I have the support of the Customer Service manager in these circumstances, but he requires approval from "head-office", before he can authorise a further replacement.

What's your views on this trend of imposing dead-pixel acceptance to consumers by the manufacturers - do you think it is contra to the Sale of Goods Act ?

Stuartli 21:48 16 Jan 07

Not for an odd one or two dead pixels unless they are, as in your case, perhaps in a prominent position.

Also see:

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

SANTOS7 21:49 16 Jan 07

I think you will find that most monitor manufacturers have a tolerance that they work to some are up to 3 some 5 before they would consider replacement you would have to search the manufacturers website for this info.
Haveing said that, and the theory has been tested, you can sometimes reactivate them by stimulation, useing a cotton bud gently rub the area containing the dead pixel and see what happens...

JYPX 00:49 17 Jan 07

The very idea of buying a monitor with these visible defects, and then having to accept it, is ludicrous.
Not much help to daba, I admit but I would urge anyone else to buy only from John Lewis , Tesco, or any other retailer that has a no-nonsense return policy.

Simsy 03:02 17 Jan 07

I access/use/view about 60 flat screens during the course of a week at work...possibly more.

I can only recall one ever having a pixel fault.

With that sort of reliability surely the screen makers/suppliers are keen to keep the customer happy and replace? If they aren't then I suggest there's something wrong with their customer service.

Regards,

Simsy

HondaMan 10:39 17 Jan 07
  HondaMan 10:44 17 Jan 07

Should read "link", but this one is alsao very useful:

click here

SANTOS7 16:53 17 Jan 07

click here?
If you want more info on "dead pixel policy" the link will help...

Pine Man 19:18 17 Jan 07

I bought a monitor from John Lewis and it is perfect BUT they did warn me before I bought it that they, like most other retailers DO have a dead pixel policy. From memory it was upto 5 pixels.

Don't automatically assume that retailers no-nonsense returns policies apply to monitors. If they don't tell you - ask.

JYPX 20:29 17 Jan 07

I am surprised to hear that (but of course I accept what you are telling us). I am sure it states on John Lewis receipts that goods can be returned within 14 days if not suitable. I bought an expensive TFT monitor from John Lewis a few months ago. It was not faulty in any way, but after using it for a couple of days I realised that it was vastly inferior to the CRT monitor that I had also been considering. So I took it back, and they did not even ask me why.

freaky 15:12 18 Jan 07

I bought a new 19" TFT about 1½ years ago, this has one dead pixel situated on the lower left side.

It's only noticeable on XP boot-up when the desktop colour is blue. It does not show on other backgrounds so I am not bothered about it. I may try gently massaging it with a cotton bud though!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now