Tesco ....which netbook should I buy ??

RKMonty 12:12 11 Nov 10

Hello All
I have some Tresco Clubard vouchers that I can use to buy a laptop with
Which is the best out of the following that they sell ??
Compaq Mini CQ10-101
Compaq CQ10-500
HP Mini 210-1020
Acer Aspire One 532
Acer Aspire One 751
Acer Aspire One D250
HP Mini 110-3101
Toshiba NB250-107
Asus 1008HA
Samsung N210 Plus
Asus 1005PE
Asus 1008P
Do any of these leap out and say wow buy that one ???

Thanks for any info

GaT7 18:17 11 Nov 10

What's your budget including the vouchers? Also, if you can tell us your OS preference: XP / Vista / 7.

"Do any of these leap out and say wow buy that one ???" - one will need to look at & compare the specs of every one you listed to be able to answer that. G

RKMonty 18:26 11 Nov 10

Thanks for the message
My budget would be upto £320 all in
OS preference would probably be Windows 7... to be a little future proof
From my original thoughts and looking at reviews etc....seem to be looking at the Asus, Toshiba or Samsung models

chub_tor 19:47 11 Nov 10

I have been very satisfied with my HP mini bought last year from Staples but one of the improvements I have made since I bought it is to increase the RAM to 2Gb and upgrade from Windows 7 Starter to Windows 7 Home Premium. Those changes make a heckuva difference to performance and viewability.

dms_05 20:04 11 Nov 10

I have an MSI Wind U100 Netbook and that works very well with XP - I guess with Windows 7 I'd need to add the extra RAM suggested above. I also run several versions of Linux on the same netbook as the 160 GB hard disk has plenty of room. I found Ubuntu Unity, Kubuntu and Mint Linux ran and installed all the hardware without any problem. I've also run a very early version of Android (v1.5) from a USB stick and that is superfast!

RKMonty 20:08 11 Nov 10

Thanks for all the comments so far it's great
Any thoughts from anyone on the Asus models
the........... 1005PE 1008HA or the 1008P
On the model that has a 'fixed battery' ....should that be a concern ?? or will it last 4 or 5 years with average use ??
Thanks for any thoughts

chub_tor 20:17 11 Nov 10

I got very close to getting the Asus 1005P which is a great little machine, the only reason I ended up with the HP 210 1011 was that it offered a bigger hard drive and was on sale. Haven't looked at the 1008P but it probably has a more up to date processor (dual core perhaps?). If so it would be a good performer. If I were you I would go to Tesco, PC World, Staples etc and play with the demo models - that way you can get a feel for the keyboard. Personally I like the chiclet type that the HP has.

RKMonty 20:22 11 Nov 10

Thanks for all the comments so far it's great
Any thoughts from anyone on the Asus models
the........... 1005PE 1008HA or the 1008P
On the model that has a 'fixed battery' ....should that be a concern ?? or will it last 4 or 5 years with average use ??
Thanks for any thoughts

RKMonty 20:25 11 Nov 10

Anyone has a good or bad thought about the 1005PE ?? or is the 1008HA a good gamble depending on the battery life ??

chub_tor 14:18 13 Nov 10

If you compare the 1005PE and the 1008HA on the Asus website you will see that they have pretty much identical basic specs. The differences show that the processor has been changed, the 1008HA has a better webcam and only 2USB ports instead of 3 - that appears to be because it has a different arrangement for VGA out. The stated battery life for the 1005 is 11 hours and for the 1008 6 hours. The processor difference is discussed here click here

Your final choice can be based on price and which features you consider are needed by you. Based on what I have seen my choice would be the 1005PE as battery life is more important to me than having a good webcam and 3 USB ports are useful as many peripherals such as a DVD writer or hard drive take up 2 ports for their power which means you cannot plug in a memory stick at the same time.

RKMonty 01:02 16 Nov 10

thanks chub_tor for the info
think I am leaning towards the 1005PE model...ie 3 usb and longer battery and maybe the graphics will be slightly better.....will I notice all of these much ??!!
shame tescos only have the 1005PE in white
thanks for all the info and unless anyone thinks I'm wrong !! thanks for your help !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…