Is Tesco Software On Sale Yet?

€dstowe 10:56 22 Nov 06

After much publicity, this seems to have gone quiet.

Has anyone seen it or, more important, used it and formed an opinion?

Kate B 11:41 22 Nov 06

I've got the full suite from the press office but haven't installed any of it yet, though I gave the office suite to a friend who seems happy with it. I think it's available now, the press release doesn't make any mention of a release date. Mind you, I can't immediately find it on the Tesco website ...

paul trotter 13:05 22 Nov 06

We received the full selection of products last month, and have reviewed parts of the office suite (the word and spreadsheet apps) in the issue that's on sale now. They software looks okay - it's probably not for the high-end user, but it offers reasonable value and could tempt those that want to avoid coughing up for more established products. Would people be interested in full reviews of all of Tesco's new software products?

Paul Trotter, Editor

Totally-braindead 13:13 22 Nov 06

Regarding reviews of all the software I for one would be interested. I asked this of one of your associates last month and was told you were only doing the office suite.

€dstowe 13:35 22 Nov 06

Yes, I think an all round review would be very useful.

I've mentioned before, I think, that I'm keen on the security suite - not for myself, I'm pretty well set up but, I would hope that the increased exposure of the Tesco shoppers to the importance of protecting themselves from all kinds of malware will get them to install. This, of course, helps everyone by reducing the opportunities of these things spreading.

They could perhaps do a promo for Christmas as a stocking filler.

Kate B 13:59 22 Nov 06

Good idea, Paul, though how about doing them as comparisons to the familiar names? Do the money suite against Quicken, MS Money and *cough* Moneybox; do the security suite against Norton, McAfee etc; do the photo suite against Elements etc and perhaps one or two of the free alternatives such as Gimp.

spuds 14:19 22 Nov 06

My local 'new' Tesco store doesn't appear to have any stocks yet, but then again, this particular store seems to have a very limited range of computer stuff.Perhaps waiting for Xmas, as a stocking filler!.

Ade_1 16:09 22 Nov 06

I think that it would be good to see full reviews as it will give everyone an idea of their capabilities and functions, I for one would certainly be interested in reading reviews on their different software products.

----------
Aidan

paul trotter 16:09 22 Nov 06

My understanding is that the software is being rolled out in just over 100 stores, with the intention of spreading it to others if it does well.

I'll discuss possible reviews of the wider range of software with our reviews editor, but in the meantime we've put the current word-processing and spreadsheet app reviews online today (following the interest in this forum!)

Go to the following blog, and then click through to the reviews where appropriate...

click here

The Brigadier 16:55 22 Nov 06

Is the software Microsoft but branded Tesco's or Open Source???

Kate B 17:19 22 Nov 06

According to the press release I've got, it's Formjet software, an AIM-listed company that brings together software developed by companies including Panda, which as we all know makes good security software.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…