Tesco to sell software

Carronade 12:09 01 Oct 06
  def90csw 12:15 01 Oct 06

What will it be, Open Source software in a box?

spuds 13:10 01 Oct 06

Is this new!. I thought Tesco's have been selling PC software for quite a time now, and that includes my local store?.

Stuartli 13:30 01 Oct 06

Yes, but not own brand software...:-)

Totally-braindead 13:30 01 Oct 06

spuds I thought the same but when you look at the link to the BBC story it becomes clear as Tesco are bring out their own brand of software.

amonra 13:36 01 Oct 06

Whatever the software is, it will give a bit of publicity to the fact there is an alternative to MS. Many people buy a new computer and automatically assume you HAVE to buy MS software to get it to function. I'm no great fan of Tesco, but in this instance good luck to them.

freaky 13:46 01 Oct 06

I doubt very much if they will be selling MS software as such i.e. Operating Systems.

They will probably be selling badged utilities such as internet security etc. Still it's a good idea and may help to reduce prices.

Carronade 15:25 01 Oct 06

I suppose we shall just have to wait and see.

For example, will the 'office software' be something like 'Open Office' with a few extra twirls to justify the price?

sidecar sid 15:58 01 Oct 06

Perhaps this may be what to expect.
click here

Forum Editor 16:10 01 Oct 06

Software takes up very little shelf-space, isn't perishable, doesn't have to be stocked in several sizes/colours, and has a good bottom line, once the sales break-even point is reached.

Customers will pick up a £20 office suite as an impulse buy item, and as sales rise no doubt the range will increase. Tesco is one of Europe's biggest, most innovative food retailers, and has the financial muscle to become a player in the software market. Time will tell.

€dstowe 16:21 01 Oct 06

I was a bit sceptical about this venture when I first heard about it but, on reflection, I'm now of the opinion that it can only be a good thing.

To have anti-virus and such software available amongst the baked beans and Nescafé may raise awareness with the many, many computer users that would nver think about coming to a forum like this one but who, nevertheless, are most likely in need of its services.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…