Tesco Monthly Contract & Billing Warning

Audio~~Chip 18:15 20 Jan 11

Hello
I have recently returned a Samsung Galaxy S Smartphone back to store where purchased on Tesco £30 per month & 24 Month Contract.

I returned the Phone because Web pages would rarely load and either give Server Error or page would hang in loading with no actuall web content showing.

I returned the phone within 1 day of the Tesco 14 Day Money Back Guarantee. I was told by Tesco Customer support after canx within store as they did not and could not tell me how much I would be charged. Apparently for canx contract and each web data MB used its £4.00 per MB and then calls used. My canx fee is going to be roughly £34!

I am trying to argure this out withe Tesco Mobile customer support they are charging me for something I have not actually used. Because web pages were sticking and loading with server errors and time outs I think being charged for this is a WRONG.

I was told by Charlotte on Tesco Mobile Customer support she would get the Billing Manager to call me which has not happended. I have yet again called just before sending this and been told they will call me back (which I do not think they will).

All I can think of is making a complaint to Ofcom, has anyone else had problems like this and been treated unfairly.

I like to add I had contacted Tesco Mobile support 3 times before my Canx and they were not able to cure the problem. They didn't even attempt to replace the handset or check any reception at there end. Tesco use O2 Mobile network just to add.

Thanks

Forum Editor 18:45 20 Jan 11

"they are charging me for something I have not actually used".

What is this charge actually for - is it for data transferred, and if so, are you disputing the data transfer figure?

Sometimes pages can load slowly at peak times because of bandwidth issues, but because a page doesn't completely load it doesn't mean no data transfer occurred.

Are you sure there was a handset fault?

Audio~~Chip 19:46 20 Jan 11

When going to web pages on the phone you get a green bar indicator at the top of the display which when a web page fully loads it goes all the way along. A bit like when downloading something online.

This green bar would stick just under half way and be stuck for minutes then the display would just give a error saying "Server Error" or other error like script errors. On WiFi connection to my home broadband it was jet fast loading web pages but via the Data of the Tesco usage maybe I would get a Google results page and that was it.

The simplest of webpages just wouldn not load. The charge is for actually using the internet and viewing the webpages 8Mb in total. They are charging for web pages I couldn't fully load and view!

Calls were fine, I was even asked to try click here website which also I am to be billed for on the 15 Feb 2011 which is my final and only billing date. I didn't say there was a handset fault but they didn't try and offer a replacment just incase there was.

I blame it to be some kind of reception issue, wonder if the same ariel is used within the handset as the one used for WiFi connection?. I am unable to see why it would have been a busy network as I tried at different locations arround where I live and at different times.

Audio~~Chip 23:39 01 Feb 11

i bought a 24month contract with Tesco Mobile on 5 January 2011 I cancelled 13 days which was 1 day within the 14 day return Tesco offered. When I got the phone they billed me £30.00 and on 05 Feb even though I have cancelled and not actually had any use which they want to bill me for the are billing me for £36 in Feb.

They actually owe me, but oh no greedy tesco like to double their takings

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos