Terrible Talktalk

juniorsplat 14:22 14 Jan 07

We subscribed to talktalk free broadband in April last year. We did not however recieve broadband until late August, despite being told out Go live date was 1st july. We were told various different stories from different people and none of them were right. Go live? Since our eventual broadband sign up we have had nothing but trouble. The modem they supplied didn't work. We still have to dial up every time to go on the internet. This may well just be something that we haven't done but we followed their instructions and have had nothing but trouble. They may have been overwhelmed but surely that could have been predicted. Surely it doesn't take an expert to work out that if you offer free broadband loads of people are going to sign up to it? Our fight is still not over with them and will probably never be finished with until we leave them at the end of out 18 month contract. They have been uterly useless with us and I would not suggest talktalk (dialup) Broadband to anyone apart from those who do not care about having broadband within the next few years. We were never contacted about anything, despite there being many problems on our line. Useless!

Forum Editor 14:31 14 Jan 07

that there are many similar cases to yours, and most industry experts were predicting as much some time ago. There are also many people who have had no problems whatsoever, and there appear to be no common denominators - it almost seems like a question of luck.

On balance, I have heard more good stories than bad, but that's no consolation as far as you're concerned.

juniorsplat 14:35 14 Jan 07

Thanks. Do you happen to know why I have to dial up for my connection?

Stuartli 14:58 14 Jan 07

If you are using a USB modem (Speedtouch or Sagem) and Internet Explorer, go to Tools>Internet Options>Connections tab>and check/enable Always Dial My Default Connection.

Also ensure that you have changed your Home Page (if it's TalkTalk) to:

click here

You need to enter this URL and open the page first; then, again from Tools>Internet Options>General tab> click on the Current Page button.

Stuartli 15:00 14 Jan 07

I had some initial problems with TalkTalk, but it's been first class since the middle of last year and upload and download speeds have been consistently higher than previously with Tiscali, as well as being at almost the theoretical 2MB limit capabilities.

Zero G 15:08 14 Jan 07

I use Talktalk for my phone line & they provide a great service. However i was not that happy with having to sign up for 18 months so did not take up the broadband offer.

If you are having problems with their Broadband Service, i suggest you contact BBC Watchdog who have so far done 2 programes on the poor level of service offered to some customers. Seems a 3rd programe is being put together shortly about them again!

juniorsplat 15:17 14 Jan 07

I will/have followed all of your advice, Thanks to everyone, more suggestions welcome!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…