Terratec v Creative Labs

orangewhiteblue 10:40 15 Oct 05

Hi

I am buying some Logitech z-2300 2.1 speakers and I need to upgarde my on-board soundcard.

I can't afford to spend too much so I'm looking at either a Terratec Aureon 5.1 or a Creative Labs SoundBlaster Live 7.1 24 bit. Both under £20 from Scan.

Has anyone had experience of these models, if so can you comment on their quality and suitability?

Any other thoughts?

Cheers

Simon

Diodorus Siculus 17:00 15 Oct 05

The soundblaster live was the best in its price range - now surpassed but still worth the money.

Joe R 19:16 15 Oct 05

orangewhiteblue,

as Diodorus Siculus, i'd also recommend the Creative card.

I have listened to Terratec, Phillips, Gainward etc soundcards, and hold the firm opinion, that the Creative cards, are head and shoulders, above the rest. (this is only my personal view)

GaT7 22:05 15 Oct 05

I think the Creative cards that are available these days have the advantage of 24-bit sound that most of the others lack.

If you shop in the right place you may pick up a Creative Audigy for your budget. I picked up a secondhand one - an Audigy 2 - off eBay some months ago for just under £17 delivered. An eBay search for Audigy click here. If you get an Audigy without the software CD, just let me know & I'll send you a copy. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…