Telewest: Beware of Customer Service Questionnaire

Lead 07:18 24 Nov 04

I have scanned through a few pages and haven't seen any threads on this subject, but if it has indeed already been mentioned, I apologise.

A few days ago I received a telephone call from a 'Delhi Call Centre' claiming to be calling on behalf of Telewest and wanting to ask me a few questions on my 'new service'. Now this was their first mistake as I haven't changed my Telewest services in a long time. I asked them which new service and he replied 'the new installation'. Another mistake, as I haven't had anything installed. Alarm bells were ringing at this point.

I asked him to confirm who he was and what details he had on my TW account. He gave a company name (sorry I have forgotten it) and reiterated it was a satisfaction survey for TW, but he couldn't tell me how he got my telephone number or prove he had any details on my account.

As you can probably guess I was suspicious from the start and eventually hung up on him.

I immediately called TW and they confirmed it was nothing to do with them, but didn't say if they had been getting any other calls from customers on the matter.

So this is just a heads-up for you all. Use common sense and don't divulge any information unless you are sure of who you are speaking to.

Steven W 09:47 24 Nov 04

Nice one. Thanks.

I've recently been questioning everytime my bank rings up and asks for me to confirm who i am!! I turn it around an ask them to proove that they are who they are or contact me in writing instead! The bank usually takes my point and then offers to end the call, which i do.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…