Telephones & Rented Accomodation

interzone55 08:41 02 Mar 10

I've just moved into a house I'm renting from a private landlord.

Currently there's no phone line installed and I'm getting confusing information about who is responsible for installing a line - some say it's the tenant, some say it's the landlord.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some definitive information one way or the other. I have a meeting with the landlord in a couple of days to go over work that needs to be done, so I'd like to add this to the list...

Ta very much

oldbeefer3 09:03 02 Mar 10

I have 5 houses that I let. I am NOT responsible for the phone line - that is down to the tenant, just like Sky etc. I AM responsible for providing water, electricity and gas (where available) and servicing the boiler and that's it.

Mr Mistoffelees 09:25 02 Mar 10

Oldbeefer3 is right, the phone-line is your responsibility.

interzone55 09:34 02 Mar 10

Thanks for that, I'll get on to BT ASAP as I need internet at home for work purposes (no work doesn't pay the bill, but it makes my life easier to do some work at home)

wiz-king 12:23 02 Mar 10

Sit down when you get the cost! Check if you can get cable - it may work out cheaper on installation cost grounds.

peugeot man 12:34 02 Mar 10

I would say that you will need the Landlords permission to install a phone line or cable.

Perhaps oldbeefer3 will confirm this.

oldbeefer3 17:23 02 Mar 10

It's always wise to approach the letting agent, but 99% of the time they will agree as an installed line is a bonus when re-letting.

interzone55 09:09 03 Mar 10

I spoke to my new landlord last night and he's got no problem with me fitting a phone line, he did say there's a line to the house, but no BT box as the phone was disconnected a couple of decades ago and not reconnected...

oldbeefer3 09:10 03 Mar 10

That probably means BT will charge the full connection fee, but you might be lucky!

spuds 16:36 03 Mar 10

With most ISP's now charging line rental into their packages, there might be a case that one of these ISP's arrange the connecting line at special prices. Perhaps worth checking, unless you go the Sky/Virgin way!.

Would perhaps mention, that some landlords provide phone-internet lines, especially in student accommodations nowadays.

interzone55 17:31 03 Mar 10

Nice idea but I will be using a lot of bandwidth, so need an uncapped ISP, most of the bundles I've checked out have limits.

I'll be using the line to stream CCTV cameras I've been testing to a remote server, so 10gb of traffic isn't unusual some days...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…