Telephone Preference Service

Newuser939 16:18 22 Jul 10

I signed up to the TPS several years ago and generally it has worked quite well. However, recently I have started receiving a lot of calls wanting to advise me about all sorts of things or carry out a consumer survey. When I challenge such calls, I am told that the TPS rules to not apply to the giving of advice or the carrying out of surveys. Personally I find such calls just as annoying as "selling" calls, but perhaps somebody will be able to explain to me the logic behind the distinction.

jack 17:45 22 Jul 10

Several times recently EDF a home security firm and a marketing firm on behalf of BT have phoned me- I informed them that I was TPS registered and hung up.
1471 revealed that in each case it was an 0800 number.
Calling the EDF I got a menu and on pressing one was informed by auto voice my name would be removed from the calling list.
The Marketing for BT referred me to BT.
The home security was number with held.

IMH there is No logis in saying the call is offering advice and not selling
It is still an unsolicited call.
What is more irritating they always seem to be in the middle of a meal.

KremmenUK 07:03 23 Jul 10

I don't get many calls at all because of TPS but on the very rare occasion I do I always ask exactly who I'm talking to as I will inform the TPS of them.

They usually hang up on me.

michaelw 08:46 23 Jul 10

I'm getting these too, plus sales calls from abroad where the TPS doesn't apply. Very annoying.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac