Targa Ultra 3700+ for £599

Barnacarry 18:20 29 May 06

Living on the far west coast of Scotland, we have access to a Lidl supermarket which will soon be offering an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ computer for £599.
Amongst its specs it has a 300GB hard drive, ultra fast 7,200rpm with 8MB cache, an LG DVD multi-normal dual layer burner and DVD-ROM drive 16x DVD and 48x CD-Rom, 2x512MB dual memory, PC3200 DDR 400 RAM, Analogue TV tuner, Dolby digital 7.1, 8xUSB 2.0 ports, wireless keyboard and mouse plus a beamer and HDT together with an RJ11 and RJ45 (whatever they are!). All this and a 3 year warrenty plus a huge OEM software package. (Their words). I could go on about '4xaudio outs' and 'composites in' and '9 in 1 memory card reader', but I won't.
Have all my Christmases come at once or does anyone know of something better?
(There is no monitor)

Diodorus Siculus 18:28 29 May 06

Sounds good on the face of it - I'd be happy with the spec for that price. Plus Lidl are pretty good with returns if anything goes wrong. Targa too will sort things out pretty quick.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:29 29 May 06

I can only find this click here £699 and Welsh stores only.

Colin 20:33 29 May 06

I've just looked it up on the Lidl website. It's advertised at £699 and in Wales only - but I know these things change quickly. It has no monitor and there is no mention, as far as I can see, as to what graphics card it has - this is usually the mosa expensive single comnonenmt in a PC. However, if you have your own monitor, (I see they have a 19" Targa LCD for £199),and don't play 3D intensive games, it looks pretty good.

Totally-braindead 20:50 29 May 06

I got the leaflet this morning and must admit that it would tempt me. Only concern I have with it is it doesn't mention what the graphics are and if it has a PCI Express slot for upgrading the graphics card later.

Totally-braindead 20:51 29 May 06

Colin in the leaflet the Targa 19" TFT monitor is reduced to £179.

Barnacarry 20:53 29 May 06

I picked up the leaflet this afternoon whilst following the wife around the shops and the date it's due in Lidls is on Thursday 8th June. (This is in Oban, Argyll)

Alan2 23:52 01 Jun 06

If you click here and follow the links to desktops etc the full spec of the 3700+ is given but I notice that the HDD is 400GB (2 @ 200GB) not the 300GB presently on offer next week in UK.

Stuartli 23:58 01 Jun 06

I would have thought that you would have got a digital TV card rather than analogue at this price.

But Targa has been around for a long time and usually offers excellent value - it's a similar German based tieup to that of Aldi with Medion.

The only difference is that Targa does actually manufacture computer systems and Medion rebadges other manufacturers' products.

nagonlouse 18:10 04 Jun 06

I see it has as described (a huge OEM Software package) as the OS is OEM, what difference to the running of the Comp does this make. I have read a lot in the forums as not beeing able to do certain things with OEM. Any comments please before Thurs 8th June.

Cybermaxx 18:39 04 Jun 06

Yeah, I was looking at this PC. As mentioned, though, no listing for it's GPU or whether or not it has a PCIe slot. A bit suspicious that there's no mention of either. If it does have a PCIe slot, you could always pick up a 7600GT for about £125, I suppose......

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…