TalkTalk Broadband - appauling

Fullywired 15:00 30 Dec 06

hey guys!

had talk talk broadband one way or another for well over a year now but keep changing packages and to be honest, i've had no end of problems!

the most recent two have not been sorted yet since april. the first is the international calls, these require a prefix numper to be dialed before the international phone number and when this prefix is dialed an automated voice tells me that before using this service, i must unsubscribe from any light user scheme. despite numerous calls to talk talk they say its something in the BT exchange, and numerous calls to BT say they can't do anything because i'm not a costomer! last i heard they were in the process of fixing the problem ant its still getting nowhere!

the second problem is my actual broadband speed. i understand that the exchange is not up to 8Mb yet (not for talk talk anyway) and i am supposed to be on 2Mb. after doing a speed test today at speedtester.bt.com i found my actual speed to be 463Kbps, so i called talk talk to ask about this and ended up in a call center in deepest darkest peru with someone who kept telling me that the exchange is not up to 8mb yet which i replied i know to every single time! so how i have to do 2 more speed tests, one this evening and another in the morning and call again tomorrow!

because i took out an 18 month contract when they introduced their "free" broadband, i can't cancel the contract until october 2007!

i just wanted to know, is anyone else having the same sort of trouble or have had the same sort of trouble with talk talk?

Regards

Fully

howard64 19:40 30 Dec 06

Mine with tt is 2.2mbps the promise was up to 8m but you never get near it. My son in law is with bt around the corner from me and his is 8m. It looks like bt downgrade a line if tt have it on contract.

The Brigadier 19:58 30 Dec 06

A lots been written about them here & in the media.

oresome 20:28 30 Dec 06

"because i took out an 18 month contract when they introduced their "free" broadband, i can't cancel the contract until october 2007!"

I'm sure they can't hold you to a contract, if they don't fulfill their side of it.

Yeh-I-am-a-Nerd 23:05 30 Dec 06

If you read the fine print for most ISPs they says (in your case) UP TO 2Mbs. So 436Kbs isn't bad. I have "2Mbs" internet connection but in reality it's about 220Kbs. You actually have a good download speed.

Fullywired 10:13 31 Dec 06

"BroadBand

If you read the fine print for most ISPs they says (in your case) UP TO 2Mbs. So 436Kbs isn't bad. I have "2Mbs" internet connection but in reality it's about 220Kbs. You actually have a good download speed."

i think you misunderstand, on the bt speed tester it gives a reading of 463Kbps which like being connected at less than 512Kbps. my actual download speeds peak at about 60Kb/s and average around 45-50Kb/s

Stuartli 18:41 01 Jan 07

Apart from being happy with the Talk3 International phone and BB package, I'm even more pleased today with Carphone Warehouse.

My Account on the TalkTalk website informs me that my next bill is due on 03/01/2008, with payment taken 14 days later...:-)

oldbeefer2 15:41 03 Jan 07

Daughter fed up with dreadful speed, disconnect problems and non-existent customer service. She has finally been able to speak to someone who speaks English and they have agreed to provide a MAC at no charge (despite 6 months of the contract to run) as long as she keeps the TT phone contract running. She is happy with this as the phone service is a good deal.

Stuartli 16:22 03 Jan 07

My consistent TalkTalk download speed is around 1,890kbps and upload 240kbps - for a 2MB connection that's pretty much on the ball.

It beats Tiscali's efforts as the previous BB ISP.

Fullywired 16:28 03 Jan 07

rang up and screamed down the phone and they said that within 7 days i would be on 2Mb, it was done within 7 hours! however the international calls are still a problem!

crazyhorse678 23:22 14 Jan 07

TalkTalk has been a complete nightmare - thankfully behind me now, after much hassle i escaped from their contract after only 6 months, after they failed to deliver the b/b service, and spent 10 weeks - yes 10 weeks - to put something as simple as voicemail and caller display on my phone line (BT took 12 hours). i could go on, but other posts give you a good idea of what they are like!

if you're going to try and leave, do it properly; send a signed for (recorded delivery letter) stating your problems and what you want to do. emails are no good, they never get answered, and calling them... just forget it and do something more useful with your life!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…