Taking a motherboard back

Neo_0147 17:34 03 Feb 03

In around July 2002 I bought a motherboard (Retail) from a computer store (Scan). It is now not working and I have discovered other people are having similar problems. It is incompatible with some other compnents in my computer. Am I entitled to swap the motherboard for a another motherboard which is a bit more expensive and pay the difference.

I have still got the invoice.

Thanks for any help.

Diemmess 18:02 03 Feb 03

Pity it took so long to misbehave, but I think a year is standard for the warranty, though it will be a much slower procedure now that you have had it long enough to show it wasn't DOA.

Might be wiser to keep quiet about changing to a different mobo unless they offer to refund.
All you are legally entitled to is a repair/replacement. .........Then you are naturally going to fear another few months, out of warranty, and fault recurs.

jazzypop 18:20 03 Feb 03

I think that it is the 'incompatability' issue that will be your main problem.

If the other components were present first, and you did not get an explicit statement that it would work with those components....

Similarly, if you got the motherboard first, and then added components that turned out to be incompatible with it...

I have every sympathy, and perhaps it is unreasonable that the motherboard is incompatible with the other components (whatever they may be).

I just don't see how you can win this argument, unless the motherboard can be proven to be faulty.

Sir Radfordin™ 18:27 03 Feb 03

Only if there is a fault with the mobo as a stand alone item do you have a claim against Scan.

If its just it doesn't work with the rest of the computer there is nothing you can do apart from buy another one and try again.

oresome 18:44 03 Feb 03

'Only if there is a fault with the mobo as a stand alone item do you have a claim against Scan.'

Begs the question, how will the retailer test the mobo as a stand alone item to verify the customers complaint?

This situation must happen frequently with the volume of components sold, but is it actually worth any retailers while to have test facilities to verify faults and who pays the cost if the component proves to be OK?

Luckily, it's never happened to me, but I can envisage the difficulties on both sides.

Rayuk 18:48 03 Feb 03

I think you will find that many firms have the facilities to test components,and if it is found to test ok the buyer has to pay a fee.

Rayuk 18:54 03 Feb 03

click here
If you scroll down to the second"important"in red
the following advises that if goods are returned for testing and prove ok you will be liable to a £10 fee.

Sir Radfordin™ 18:58 03 Feb 03

They are likely to send it back to their supplier who will be able to test the board as a stand-alone item.

keith 19:01 03 Feb 03

Some companies will return the "faulty" part to the manufacturer for testing,this can mean a lengthy delay even if the part found to be faulty.

BJ 19:05 04 Feb 03

Ok It may cost alittle more but I was glad that I bought my last mobo/CPU from a local PC store, after about 9 months it PC would not boot. I got it down to either a faulty CUP, graphics card or Mobo. I took it to the local PC shop to seek advice, I did not say I'd bought the mobo from them, two hours later a telephone call, the mobo was dead, he had fitted a replacement, higher spec and the cost was zero. When I enquired why he said that mobo was still under warranty.

So buy local pay alittle more and get fast turn arounds on repairs. The reason I now use local suppliers is that I have had bad experences with a few mail oder companys, cost and time to return items is high and long.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…