Take my PC and turn it into something decent

Artondrius 15:17 13 Nov 07

Ok, I've got about ~$700 to work with and I need some suggestions on what the best stuff is I can get with that much money(I game and like to Multi-app a lot).

Here is everything in the heap of trash I currently have, I don't really know what I'm talking about but I'm guessing pretty much all of it needs to be replaced except maybe the ram, haha.

Motherboard: click here

Processor: click here

Video Card( LOL :( ): click here

Ram: click here

So, if anyone can take this crap and my $700 and put together a decent gaming PC for me I'd be grateful :)

donki 15:58 13 Nov 07

Id be well happy with this little number!! :P, keep the case, HD and DVD/CD Drives. Stick in below:

CPU: click here

MB: click here

Video Card: click here

RAM: click here

PSU: click here

Total: $734 (u will get extra discount with the rabates. It wont be DX10 ready but ud need another $100, if you wanted a DX10 gaming machine.

Spec.
AMD 6400 Dual core Black (probably overkill)
2gig ram
XFX GeForce 7950GT 512mb
700PSU

GaT7 20:59 13 Nov 07

For a budget of $700 my suggestions would be:

* CPU $195: Intel C2D E6570 click here [C2Ds are better in gaming than their AMD 'equivalents']
* Motherboard $69: MSI G31M-F LGA 775 mATX click here [cheapest that'll take 4Gb DDR2 PC2-6400]
* RAM $54: A-DATA 2GB (2x1GB)(PC2-6400): click here [your old RAM needs to be changed btw]
* Video Card $270: EVGA 8800GT Superclocked 512MB click here
* PSU $90: OCZ StealthXStream 600W click here

Grand total = $678 excl shipping & rebates if any

If only we had those prices in the UK....sob, sob :-( G

Artondrius 06:52 14 Nov 07

Thanks for the replies, I could actually go as high as $800 if it will make a big difference

donki 09:41 14 Nov 07

Put the 8800GT into my spec then :P, CrossBow u r so rite I wish we had these prices.... Again, RIP OFF Britian!

GaT7 16:05 14 Nov 07

As you're willing to go upto $800, get a $280 quad-core Q6600 instead click here. For the reasons why click here.

You could do with a better full-size ATX motherboard too - $90 ABIT IP35-E click here or $95 GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L click here.

Make sure you have a fairly spacious ATX case (graphics card may be a problem) & good cooling too. If you have a mATX case you'll have to get a full-size ATX case.

If you get an aftermarket cooler (e.g. click here, or possibly something better) you could get an even greater performance boost with overclocking - but I doubt you'll need it for a while. G

P.S. Other online retailers/price-compare sites you may want to look at too:
TigerDirect click here
ZipZoomfly click here
PriceGrabber click here
Bizrate click here
PriceRunner click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos