Tablet for my Gorgeous Niece

rhona31 10:35 AM 27 Nov 12
Answered

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a tablet for my niece for her Xmas. She's 9 and will mostly use it for watching tv shows and playing games.

Ideally I'm looking to spend under £150. Is it possible to get a decent one?

Forum Editor 10:44 AM 27 Nov 12

Your budget allows you a fairly limited choice.

Take a look at this

rhona31 11:46 AM 27 Nov 12

That looks pretty good. I was looking at these cheap foreign ones, I can get a 10" screen for under £100. I'm guessing that would be a duffer?

bjh. 12:06 PM 27 Nov 12

The cheap imports normally suffer most in screen usability... which is key to a good tablet experience. I'd suspect a child - however gorgeous she may be - might get quickly frustrated if poking the screen doesn't bring the desired result.

Forum Editor 19:26 PM 27 Nov 12
Answer

I deliberately avoided the cheaper products. You'll want your niece's first experience with a tablet to be a reasonably good one, and my recommendation will ensure that's the case.

Bear in mind that a top-flight tablet will cost upwards of £350.

bremner 19:49 PM 27 Nov 12

A very good alternative to the Samsung is the Nexus 7

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details?id=nexus716gb&feature=device-featured

bremner 19:51 PM 27 Nov 12

The link again this time painfully slowly with Javascript on

nexus 7

Forum Editor 22:35 PM 27 Nov 12

bremner

I agree, the Nexus 7 16Gb model would be another good choice.

rhona31 09:51 AM 28 Nov 12

Cheers for the info guys, it's a big help. I'm going to go for one of the above, just trying to decide which one!

rockymast 15:51 PM 08 Dec 12

Nexus 7 is the best choice. It's the combination of top hardware and software. And I bet she wont mind the absence of card slot. :)

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get free stuff for Android: Amazon Underground offers genuinely free Android apps and free…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites