Symantec's dodgy certificate or software

gloombucket 17:47 06 Jun 08

I installed Norton Internet Security 2008 and tried to register. They sent an email with a link, which took me to a site with an invalid certificate, according to the software which I had just installed. Due to the dire warning about Phishing and the site wanting a password, I closed it, so I'm not registered and I don't suppose I'll get any support.
I tried to contact Symantec but soon gave up, having wasted hours trying to do so a few years ago. Just thought you'd all like to know. Hope I'm not being too cheerfull.

User-1212661 00:06 07 Jun 08

Hi gloombucket,

This is Mike from the Norton authorized Support Team.

The issue you are experiencing can be resolved by changing your internet settings in the Control Panel.

1. Open the Control Panel and double-click on "Internet Properties."

2. Click on the "Security" tab, and then click the button at the bottom of the window that says "Reset all zones to default level."

3. Click on the "Content" tab, and then click on the "Clear SSL state" button.

4. Next, click on the "Certificates" button and clear all of the certificates. Please do the same for the "Publishers" as well.

You should now be able to click on the link in the email message that you were sent to register Norton.

If you are still unable to access the Norton Account site, then open Norton Internet Security 2008 and click on the "Norton account" button at the top of the window to access the site.

Thank you,
Mike

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
click here

sunny staines 09:51 07 Jun 08

Nice to see a norton rep on the forum

birdface 11:54 07 Jun 08

Totally agree.Nice to see a rep from Norton on here.It is always a bit difficult giving someone advice about how to fix Norton when you may not use it yourself.So lets hope he hangs around for a while.

sunny staines 13:31 07 Jun 08

i still use norton security had my share of problems with it, but tried a few others but prefer norton when its working ok.

gloombucket 11:11 09 Jun 08

Thanks Mike. I've got to a button called 'Reset all zones to default level' but it's greyed out. I'll try restarting as Administrator when I get the time.
I should have said I have Vista Home edition, and in the Control Panel I chose Internet Options then 'Delete Browsing History and Cookies' to get to the button. Also you can get there by right-clicking on the Internet Explorer icon, selecting 'properties' and then the Security tab.
I'll let you know how I get on.

gloombucket 13:51 10 Jun 08

Restarting as an Administrator has not un-greyed the button 'Reset all zones to default level'.
I could try un-checking 'Enable Protected Mode', or reducing the security level from Medium-high, but as a non expert it seems a bit risky.

User-1212661 23:27 13 Jun 08

Hi gloombucket,

To access the "Reset All Zones.." option you do need to first take the check out of the box to "Enable Protected Mode."

After you take the check out of the box, and then choose the "Reset zones.." button, the check for "Enable Protected Mode" should reappear. After you make the changes make sure you click the "Apply" button and then the "OK" button.

Thank you,

Mike

Michael York
Norton Authorized Support Team
Symantec Corporation
click here

gloombucket 00:11 15 Jun 08

Thanks Mike, it's worked.
After clicking "Clear SSL state" I couldn't see anything for clearing all certificates or publishers (just a Remove button greyed out for any certificate or publisher I selected). I previously cleared my Internet history and don't know if that had any effect. That's just for the benefit of anyone else with the problem, my problem is fixed and I've even cheered up a little.

ronalddonald 13:51 18 Jun 08

i gave up using noron since ive had loads problmes. Why not use the free anti visrus programs that u find here instead of paying a huge subscription every year. I also found that to many downloads are too long and sometimes my pc use to frezze becsue of theses long downloads. Trying suing avast look on the forums you find the downloads. Noronb isnt easy to use nad it cane be nightimae trying to reomove it

gloombucket 14:45 18 Jun 08

I used Avast years ago and I've got nothing against it. One reason for buying Norton's disk is that I get very slow downloads with 3 Mobile Broadband, probably due to reception problems, but that's another subject. The decision was marginal and if it's wrong it isn't going to kill me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

Disney layout supervisor Rob Dressel on the challenges of visualising Moana

Siri vs Google Assistant