symantec auto renewal

dont buy norton on line. firstly it's too expensive, secondly it comes with an extra!
When my friend of a friend called me for advice i, to be honest couldnt really understand what their problem was, they couldn't find how to cancel auto renewal? This is symantec's (of the ask tool bar ilk) added security feature that stops you forgetting to renew, missing it by an hour and BAM! your pc is hacked and bank account empty.
It states on support page you can easily cancel this from you norton account, but i looked and the feature wasnt there? there was a second option, a cancellation form, everytime you send it you get a cant do that right now message, 'please try later'
this was from my pc and hers.
i filled in a complaint form that kept saying serial number invalid, so tryed to call. (this person had been trying all this ?*! all day by the way!)
and you get another ridiculas form to fill in before you can speak to them. So i had to download the live chat/system report rubbish and started chatting to to a guy who pressure sold the auto renewal and wasnt taking no for an answer!
When i used and even paid for antivirus protection (something i have survived without for well over a year, and have come to see many of these companies as worse than the malware writers, many of them were malware writers) it wasnt like this!
anyway, told him to cancel, shot the screen, advised friend to speak with the bank.
as av's go norton is written quite well, but this is not marketing this is ransomware.
be careful.

i should add, there's no option to buy on line without this.

xania 09:12 10 Jun 09

Best thing to do, I've found, is to buy your new Av a few day before the old expires. I got mine a month in advnace via Ebay at 25% of their asking price. A couple of days before its due to expire, uninstall the old product and install the new one. Believe it or not, last time I did this, they even gave me credit for the lost days.

sunnystaines 09:23 10 Jun 09

always buy the oem disc its so much cheaper.

jimv7 12:57 10 Jun 09

Save your money and use either the free avg or avast.

"The companies say they have been working with the Cuomo's office for the past two years to improve practices and they have now made it easier to understand and opt out of their respective auto-renewal features"
yeah right!
thanks for the link.

Arnie 19:00 11 Jun 09

"Save your money and use either the free avg or avast."
Good advice.

May I also suggest Comodo Internet Security?
This offers free antivirus + Firewall.
This free for non-commercial use package will work on the XP and Vista platforms, but not Windows 2000.

BTW. I have never paid for an antivirus package.
Some of the free offerings often exceed the quality of the paid for programs.
I do use a paid for Super AntiSpyware program which is very good.

Arnie.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now