Suspect I'm being scammed - can i report it?

PaulB2005 16:01 07 Feb 07

Withheld phone call this afternoon - line was (deliberately?) unclear with lots of background noise (busy call centre).

Caller announced their name and that they were from RHS (?) and told me my order was ready. Did i want it delivered to my business address or to the school direct? Not knowing anything about this i asked what she was talking about. Apparently i agreed verbally over the phone in September to "sponsor" a print run of IT information guides for local schools - safe surfing etc and would have my company advertised on the back. The cost was £145 and i would be invoiced later.

When i pointed out that i would agree ANYTHING over the phone without an agreement or contract to sign she just repeated that I'd agreed over the phone. She admitted they had no recording of the call or a signed contract. Eventually she hung up.

The phone call couldn't have happened on the date or time she says it did and i don't approve ANY advertising without proofs.

I feel this is a scam but what for? Bank details? To get me to sign up for the printing there and then?

What do i do if a parcel turns up?

Is there someone worth reporting this to?

silverous 16:14 07 Feb 07

I read about this scam in the Daily Mail recently.
It seems to revolve around school books.

They are probably recording the conversation and hoping that you will not deny ordering it and can then use the recording to chase for money.

They may also be hoping you'll agree to sign up for it - but seems unlikely.

I would ignore it - I don't think you'll see a parcel. Some poor souls actually agreed to sign up for the sponsoring of such schemes and then got chased for the money.

Pamy 16:17 07 Feb 07

My hubby had something similar like that a few years ago and was threatend with court action if he did not pay.(books etc were delivered unsolicited). I asked here on this forum what we should do and the majority advice was to ignor it, but my hubby found this very hard to do and contacted our local news paper who put a stop to it.

sean-278262 16:23 07 Feb 07

Did they know your name and address? Sounds to me like they were trying to get you to tell them your details. Legally they have no way to say you have agreed to anything. No record of this sounds more than unlikely.

If a parcel arrives refuse to take it. You never made an agreement as far as you are concerned.

click here

wizza68 18:01 07 Feb 07

I have also heard of a scam where on the phone they establish you are at work, then they ask for your home postcode and number.

Knowing your are then out, they then know that the house is empty and could break into it.

PaulB2005 18:41 07 Feb 07

Thanks for the responses so far. Some very interesting information and some reassurance. Whoever she was she's good because she's got me doubting myself and I'm a bit worried that a parcel will turn up unsolicited.

We've become a bit over cautious the last few years due to a number of incidents, the last of which was a burglary at my grandfathers house on the day of his wifes funeral. Only took bank cards, statements etc No mess - suspect home helps and various cleaners. Since then he has had many suspicious calls asking for date of birth and other personal details which he has given out because he sadly "assumed it was the Police or the Social Services". Fortunately i was there when the last one came and had a stern talk with him. He hadn't told of the calls before.

Anyway i gave out no details. They knew my first name and surname and telephone number but this is easy to get as it appears on websites, company listings etc etc They probably have the address too... Any packages will be rejected as unsolicited. If they are left then I'll write giving them a week to collect or they'll be disposed of.

------

wizza68 - that started a while back. However it is more myth than fact. Just because someone is out doesn't mean the house is empty. Anyone who assumes i have an empty house when i am at work is wrong and can take it up with Hamish, my dog, who'll gladly put them straight.

spuds 18:52 07 Feb 07

Sounds a bit like the 'directory' scam that was around a couple of years ago. Basically you agree to a small advert on a directory of some sort or another.The request for £145 and invoicing later seems to ring bells. Contact your local Trading Standards for more advice.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…