Suse Linux - for a beginner?

Lú-tzé 15:05 27 Jan 03

I am not sure if anyone can give a definitive answer, but I will still ask!

Is Suse Linux professional 7.1 a good option for a beginner? I have seen the complete boxed version with manuals for £40 and am thinking of making a purchase.

I know that I can get distros of Linux elsewhere / download them for less, but the manuals are important to me. I have never used Linux but cut my teeth on DOS and am not afraid of command lines.

Any advice welcome please.

Dade 15:38 27 Jan 03

best linux distro for beginners has to be Mandrake 9.0
lots of nice windows-esque features for configuration and the simplest setup procedure i've seen from a linux distro.

save you £40 quid as well because its free (unless you want written manuals)

Lú-tzé 16:42 27 Jan 03

Thanks for that Dade - I do need manuals of some sort though.

I will have a look at the mandrake site - see what documentation they have there.

scotty 16:42 27 Jan 03

Check this site for deals on linux: click here

Lú-tzé 17:41 27 Jan 03

scotty - thanks for that.

I think that I might just go with Mandrake 9.0. Seems good value on the site you mentioned. And there seems to be a good user base out there to offer support.

ams4127 21:30 27 Jan 03

I have just installed SuSE Linux 8.1 personal. I found it to be very easy and fast and it picked up all my hardware (ISDN, SCSI Scanner, Firewire etc) without any prompting from me.

About the only thing I had to do was download and install the latest Nvidia drivers.

Unfortunately, due to a major HDD problem It's no longer working. As soon as I get a new disk it will be going back on again.

I can recommend it highly - and after troubles with earlier editions of SuSE - that is high praise indeed.

Lú-tzé 22:48 27 Jan 03

ams4127 - thank you for your contribution.

I am still tempted by SuSE...

ams4127 23:35 27 Jan 03

No problem.

Be prepared for a fairly steep learning curve! A lot of things which are simple in Windows can seem wierd in Linux.

Persevere, it's worth it in the long run.

One thing - do dual boot. It makes it easier if you need internet access to find the answer to a problem on the web. At least I have found it so.

zanwalk 11:01 28 Jan 03

Mandrake 9 has a downloadable manual, I am in the process of printing it out now, 125 pages!

Lú-tzé 14:59 28 Jan 03

rayburn - thanks for that. Any chance that you might post the link to it please? I was looking and found many different listings of FAQ, advice, etc. but no real "manual" in that sense. If nothing else it will give my laser printer some exercise!

zanwalk 20:48 28 Jan 03

This is the link:

click here

and the download you need is called 'Starter'. I wish you well!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…