Supplier Advice Needed!

sdf 21:47 30 May 03

Hi there, I hope someone can help. I'm looking at getting a laptop with the following specs or there abouts and (hopefully) looking to spend up to £1200 (though £1000 would be pref). I have found a few around but to be honest am getting a bit bewildered with it all! Im used to just self building my own PC - didnt know buying a decent complete system would be this complicated! anyway, any advice on suppliers or models from experience would be GREATFULLY recieved.
Desired specs:
-2gig +
-256mb RAM +
-15" screen
-DVD (pref dvd/cdrw combo)
-wireless lan/normal ethernet (to access home net)
-30gb HDD+
-64 mb Raedon 9000 mobile would be REALLY greator equal
-sound (im told some don't come with sound, makes DVDs boring without it!)
-infra red
-usb
-reasonable battery life
-reasonable disk spin up speed

If anyone can shed any light on a good model and/or where to look I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Many thanks

-pops- 07:18 31 May 03

Best thing would be to look at the reviews in magazines and make your own mind up.

The problem with any individual's advice is just that - it's individual and likely to be biased towards this or that. A magazine review does, or should, attempt to be unbiased and just state the facts.

Do look in a Computer magazine rather than the Sunday supplements where I saw a review once on a Sony Vaio being give top billing because the reviewer liked the smooth curves of the case - no consideration to the contents and functionality at all.

sdf 19:06 31 May 03

Doh! I seemed to be doomed! I found a fairly decent one at PC world (I know - dont comment - was only really looking!) which I have now found has run out of stock and PC world will not be restocking it. the number 1 placed budget notebook from the latest issue of PC Advisor has not been released and the nearest alternative Rock Direct can offer I consider to be quite inferoir. Though cudos - excellent service, I emailed them with a few questions about it and they got back to me impressivly quickly with all the information I might ever want to know about the entire rest of their range! Good on them! HELP! thanks Pops for the recomendation - a Vaio with the specs I want will be just too far out of my price range. thanks for the heads up though.

Gaz 25 20:03 31 May 03

Take a look at click here thay have some laptops for sale.

I have got to say, all laptops these days, long as it is new, will have Sound cards, if you want 5.1 audio go for a extigy from creative, and plug your home cinema into it, or some meatier speakers.

Anyway, hope you find a good deal. If you mention me: Gareth at Shepley, he may do some discount, only I have reccomnded them after buying a lot for a buissness becuase the prices are decent.

Regards,
Gareth

-pops- 07:12 01 Jun 03

Note that I wasn't recommending a Vaio, just commenting on the priorities that Sunday paper reviewers put on the choice of computer.

My views on a Vaio are the same as those on any laptop computer - zero. I have no interest in, or knowledge of, them at all.

Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…