Sun's latest Microsoft-bashing Software Suite...??

Phased 19:09 02 Apr 03

Some spam I received today from PCA...Sun's latest Microsoft-Bashing Software Suite, - I don't think so... Deleted.

barrie_g 19:19 02 Apr 03

Its always possible that it will do just what it says on the tin and if it can manage to do what you want it to (giving it a fair chance by spending sometime to get used to it) just think of the money you would save when compared to the equivelent Microsoft software.

Even if people would be more willing to give something else a chance then Microsoft might start to get their software right without the need for constant updates and at a realistic price.

Phased 19:26 02 Apr 03

As office is the most popular 'office suite' in this part of the galaxy (Klingon 'Kelgar Tugaret Suite' excluded) it could be assumed they have got it 'right' already.

barrie_g 19:49 02 Apr 03

either that or people get it because thats "what everyone else uses"

Taran 19:55 02 Apr 03

The software in question is actually a seriously good suite.

I won't and can't dispute for a moment that it lags behind MS Office, but then so do all other alternatives.

For less demanding users or small businesses/offices it is still a viable alternative though and it has a great many useful and usable features along with a quite remarkable price tag.

Whether you choose to take a closer look is another matter entirely.

I'm unsure whether you object to the email, its contents, its wording or the source it came from.

MS have it so "right" that their up and coming Office release is quite different in many ways to the currently available suite(s), just as the current range are vastly different from their predecessors. They never stop evolving and changing the Office range, so it could be assumed that no, they don't get it "right", but they do continue to develop in response to customer feedback and anticipated needs.

recap 20:24 02 Apr 03

Spam, I always thought that Spam was trying to sell you something that you did not want. PCA are giving this software away with 3 years PCA on CD for free. Well free isn't quite true, all they want from you is your comments on how the software performs and is it a viable product to go up against MS Office.

As Taran has said "For less demanding users or small businesses/offices it is still a viable alternative though and it has a great many useful and usable features along with a quite remarkable price tag."

In those circumstances I do believe that it could go up against MS Office.

Forum Editor 20:26 02 Apr 03

we don't all have totally closed minds when it comes to evaluating alternatives isn't it?

Otherwise we would be without some of the world's most useful and innovative products.

I advise clients on software choices almost daily. I've been doing it for more years than I care to remember, and I certainly don't think there's no point in trying something new.

As for spam - we don't indulge in it. Any mail that goes from us to forum members does so because they agreed to us doing it when they registered with us.

Phased 20:40 02 Apr 03

I have already evaluated the product thank you and was less than impressed with it, Is that ok?

bab5 20:54 02 Apr 03

I don't see the problem myself with PCA sending out such e-mails, after all as has been pointed out we ALL agreed to such mails when we joined the site, and lets face it such emails are better than real spam.
If you don't wish to take up the offer just delete it,problem solved.

I've used star office before and while its not ms office, it does all i need it to do and it's worth the time downloading it ;-)

darran

bab5 20:54 02 Apr 03

I don't see the problem myself with PCA sending out such e-mails, after all as has been pointed out we ALL agreed to such mails when we joined the site, and lets face it such emails are better than real spam.
If you don't wish to take up the offer just delete it,problem solved.

I've used star office before and while its not ms office, it does all i need it to do and it's worth the time downloading it ;-)

darran

bab5 20:55 02 Apr 03

oops sorry it's came out twice duh

Darran

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…