Studio XPS 16 Laptop 32 or 64 bit?

himself1978 22:19 18 Apr 09

I am considering the purchase of Dell Studio XPS 16 after reading strong reviews from Pc Advisor and other sources.
When ordering from Dell the option of OS is given between the 32 bit and the 64 bit.

The PC Avisor review was using the 64 bit OS, so I would appericate some advice on the options put forward by Dell.

How would the performance of the 32 and 64 bit differ?

Are the componemts in the machine better suited to 32 or 64 bit?

How do we stand with 64 bit compatible software?

The two laptop specs are below with the only difference being the OS

PC AVISOR REVIEWED LAPTOP

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 CPU, a 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670 graphics processor, and 4GB of RAM running the 64-bit flavour of Windows Vista.

THE LAPTOP IM CONSIDERING

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.40Ghz, 3MB, 1066MHz)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1(32 BIT) - English
512MB ATI® Radeon™ HD 3670 graphics card
4096MB 1067MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048]

curofone 00:42 19 Apr 09

64 bit is the way to go for any new computer, especially if it somethng that has a spec like this as quite simply a 32 bit system can not use all of the spec above so you effectivly you are paying for hardware that can not be used until you install a 64 bit os.

as for software, most software houses now produces their products in 32 and 64 bit version so that should not be a problem for new software, some older software might not work but you need to be looking forward not backwards.

jack 15:22 19 Apr 09

The 64 bit system[Motherboard/Processor] is no problem and will run 32bit apps.

But as mentioned installing a 64 bit operating system will need the 64 bit apps., to go with it.
So check out the apps you use and see if a 64 bit option is available- .,and then of course you are then in a whole round of new spending.
IMHO the 'written' differences my be spectacular, just as multicore processors and the like.
But for plain cooking computing- it good money after bad.
The only real beneficiaries of 64 bit so far are Gamesters.

Bye the Bye I installed a 64bit Processor/Mobo about 3 years ago- but I am still 32 software and likely to remain so.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Best iMovie for Mac tips 2017 | How to edit video with iMovie: 26 brilliant video editing tricks…