Stuck with laptop choice

nebuchan 23:08 18 Aug 05

Hi, im trying to buy a Laptop for my bro, but am unsure what to get him. I have whittled the list down to 3, but im having trouble deciding. My friend has encouraged me towards AMDs offerings, but are centrinos just as good?

Currently i Am looking at Acers,
Aspire 5021wlmi AMD Turion, or Aspire 1691wlmi intel centrino,

Comet has this comparison link, that makes it easier to compare.

click here

I look forward to hearing what you think!

cheers

Happy Soul 00:00 19 Aug 05

Worth a look click here for some more ideas.

nebuchan 07:17 19 Aug 05

thanks for that Happy Soul, but im really keen on acer's mainly beacuse of the excelent screens they have on them and i have one and i cant fault it.

Diodorus Siculus 07:47 19 Aug 05

I'd go with the Centrino - simply because I have one and find it excellent... can't be more objective, I'm afraid to say.

Aspman 09:58 19 Aug 05

If you can affort the Centrino brand then they are often worth it. the little features included go a long way to increasing battery life and the machines tend to be a good deal lighter than non-Centrinos.

HondaMan 10:33 19 Aug 05

I tried to buy one about a year ago. No-one had what I wanted in stock, tried contacting Acer - no help so I bought an AJP 1.8Ghz Centrino with a
15.4inch screen which runs at 1680X1050. Fabulous!

bfoc 22:25 19 Aug 05

If battery life is important then the Centrino is the best chip option - it goes for much longer between charges and is no slouch when working.

DieSse 22:50 19 Aug 05

Centrino is not actually a chip - the processor used is an intel Mobile Pentium - M with a 2Mb cache - very fast and low power too.

The Centrino tag also includes W-Fi as standard - it's really a package of features put together precisely for laptops.

DieSse 22:54 19 Aug 05

On the comparison link you give, IMO it's no contest - the intel chipped one is the best.

Completealias 01:17 20 Aug 05

I would also go with the pentium based one.

Forum Editor 09:08 20 Aug 05

buy the Pentium machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now