Strange 'tech support' phone call

Esc4p3 20:36 29 Apr 10

I had a call from an Indian sounding call centre. They asked me if I had a computer at my address (they knew my actual address) and when I said I did they said they were partner of Microsoft and I had a serious problem with my pc. I asked them how they knew but they continued to sidestep that issue. He told me to fire up my pc to show the problem which I went along with but left my Internet connection off! He proceeded to take me to the event viewer to prove how many errors were on my pc and that I probably had downloaded malware as well. He then wanted me to go to a website where Microsoft technicians would be able to help me. I refused at that point and hung up.

So what was he up to, trying to sell me a warranty or antivirus or simply trying to infect the pc in some way?

wiz-king 21:27 29 Apr 10

Just a scam to get you to join up to a service and pay lots of moola. Ignore.

iscanut2 23:32 29 Apr 10

I seem to remember a similar posting some weeks ago. Not sure when, but do a search if interested.

ronalddonald 07:03 30 Apr 10

May be hack into your computer and steal other details

birdface 08:30 30 Apr 10

click here

There are a few other threads on here recently about the same subject.
Just another scam.

KremmenUK 12:34 30 Apr 10

Ooh - can I have a call please.

I'd tell him that my Event viewer is totally clear and see his next statement.

We all know that Event Viewer logs quite a lot of info so he's on to a winner with some people.

I bet his next ploy would be to get you to download and install some Malware to presumably 'fix' the problem.

"Do you have a computer" - you tell me if your a Microsoft affiliated company.

Presumably got your address and phone number from the directory anyway.

Last bit of fun I had was a cold call trying to sell double glazing and conservatories. I had him hooked for about 15 mins before telling him I lived on the 10th floor of a council owned tower block. He wasn't amused for some reason!
I did remind him that he called me and not the other way round :-)

Housten 17:25 30 Apr 10

Esc4p3

If you read 'fixonclick - has anyone dealt with this company' you will find the start of my problems!! Even now I have not been able to get my computer back the way it was prior to their 'phone call.

I can only advise anyone that receives one of these calls - and believe it or not since the original call I have had another five or so - to tell these people that you don't believe a word they are saying, and then hang up. Maybe they will get the message, but don't bank on it!!

wiz-king 18:02 30 Apr 10

Been down the porch route, but had trouble explaining that my door leads into the driveway under the bedrooms - I live in an old coach house - and if I put a porch on the doorway I might have trouble driving into the back yard and stables. Also have had trouble telling a cavity wall insulation man that in the 1800's the didn't have any holes in the brickwork!
But it's fun.

john bunyan 19:00 30 Apr 10

When I get such calls, I first ask for a number and address to call back, then say the householder is busy - could they hold? and leave the phone to clock up their phone costs. They usually hang up soon.

BT 08:13 01 May 10

I've done that one. The conservatory on the first floor flat was my favorite one.

Esc4p3 10:25 01 May 10

Thanks guys, didn't realise the scan was so prevalent - will tick resolved now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…