Strange printer cartridge answers

Cybermaxx 14:07 25 Sep 04

As posted in my other topic, I have just bought a HP 7260 printer. I went to Comet first, and when I asked whether or not the printer came with cartridges included, the response was "Yes, they all include cartridges, but they're just demonstration ones and only half filled." Very strange, I thought!

Then I visited Curry's, where the same printer was on sale for the same price. This time, the reply to my question was "No, you have to buy them separately." When I asked if he was sure of this, the assistant went to consult a colleague who informed him that he was wrong (which I knew already). they also have notices up reminding you not to forget to buy your cartridges when you buy a printer! I bought it there anyway, because I couldn't be bothered to go anywhere else....

Rant over.

spuds 17:58 25 Sep 04

Isn't this information on the side of the carton under contents :o)

Dorsai 19:43 25 Sep 04

quite clearly put on their boxes 'includes one set of standard carts' or words to the effect.

A mate of mine got a printer from somewhere, and the sales bods advised him to get some ink, but when he got home, the printer came with a set.

As for the 'they're just demonstration ones and only half filled' is sortof tru, but not very. with my epson printer, from new, it has to charge the printheads, and this uses a small proportion of the ink in the new carts. but only a small amount.

wee eddie 20:38 25 Sep 04

My experience of friends purchases is that if the kids are let loose the first set of carts are used double quick.
There-by requiring another trip to the shops, or a day off work waiting for the courier.

Belatucadrus 16:38 26 Sep 04

I don't know if it's true for the 7260, but HP were in the habit of supplying their base range printers with a "Light use" cartridge of about half standard capacity, so the Comet rep may have been wrong, but his comment was quite logical.

jack 17:15 26 Sep 04

The habit of HP to supply 'lite' carts is well known, and has been written about in the 'ink trade' press.
Take a look at click here
The reason they do it, changes every time HP are approached. From time the unit may be in transit
stock and sale, thus having out of date carts.
to just plain 'Well thats what we do OK!'
All else it seems pack the machines with standard carts.

Cybermaxx 18:43 26 Sep 04

That's all very well, but the fellow at Comet said that ALL the printers on display came supplied with half filled cartridges, not just HP models.

My 7260 came with cartridges 57 and 58, both standard retail (and full!) models. I've installed it and it's working perfectly. My only gripe is that I felt obliged to buy an additional No.56 Black cartridge for ordinary documents (bought for £14.99 from a local retailer, £19.99 at Currys!).

Anyway, I'll mark this topic resolved now.

wee eddie 19:21 26 Sep 04

Maybe Comet get them cheaper that way.

I am sure that if you purchase a very cheap printer, you will not get a lot of ink with it.

How on earth do you think the manufacturer is going to stay in business. If they were give you the very source of their profit!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…