strange pricing at my local tesco

johnnyrocker 23:35 21 Feb 04

shopping there yesterday i was looking at 7 seas extra strength cod liver oil capsules and was puzzled, a box of 60 is £8.68 a box of 30 is £3.55 i queried it and was told it's correct which would you choose?;) or guess what i bought.

johnny.

Sir Radfordin 23:42 21 Feb 04

Pricing is a science.

You only have to look at Viking-direct to see how complex pricing can become. I can often find about 5 different prices for one item with them - each having a different product code but being the same product.

Being a youngster I had to reach for a calculator to work out your point so Tesco would've had me ;)

kinger 23:44 21 Feb 04

They do this on several items. It's the pricing policy. On occasions 'special offers' crash with other sizes not in the offer.

It's a case of keeping your eye on sizes, weights and prices.

Do Tesco sell PC's?

johnnyrocker 23:44 21 Feb 04

ah well clcelators werent about in my bringing up it ad to be the brain;)

johnny.

johnnyrocker 23:45 21 Feb 04

not yet but i will av a look if they do.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 23:47 21 Feb 04

there was no special offer etc they were just sitting next to each other on a shelf.

johnny.

Stuartli 08:36 22 Feb 04

Yes, Tesco does sell computer systems - mostly by Time.

Re pricing: If you look at the price label Tesco always indicates, as with most retailers, the cost of goods per fixed amount i.e. 16p per 100g or £4.59 per kg and the equivalent in weights some of us are more familiar with, such as lbs in the case of the latter example....:-)

johnnyrocker 10:25 22 Feb 04

exactly right and the price per capsule was reflected in the shelf labels.

johnny.

billy 11:13 22 Feb 04

Supermarkets, especially Tesco, are superb at understanding consumer behaviour. As shoppers go around they assume that big means bulk discount. Also, look at vegetables where loose ones you have to pack yourselves are more expensive than ones neatly put into bags already (well they were when out of interest I looked. If we buy loose maybe we assume they are healthier and cheaper; both wrong they are the vegetables and more expensive. At the end of the day Tesco are trying to suck as much money out of consumers for as little product as possible so you will go back and buy more - that is capitalism and we all chose to go there.
To bring this back to PCs, maybe we'll see a on-lne store offerin 2x50CDs at less than 1x100CDs

Stuartli 11:47 22 Feb 04

I think you will find that pre-packed and washed vegetables etc cost more by weight - at least they do in our local Tesco.

It pays to examine any offer carefully - in the latest issue of PC Advisor, for instance, I spotted an advert for 25 CD-Rs on a spindle at around £7.50.

Seems reasonable until you remember that Morrisons sells a pack of 10 Imation 52x CD-Rs complete with cases (top quality media and cases) at £5.99 or three packs for £10....

spuds 12:48 22 Feb 04

Like most things in life nowadays, you must have your wits about you, so that you can seek that true bargain.I find that all the major and not so major supermarkets use all their marketing skills to attract customers.This rule also applies to the likes of PC World, you only have to check their newspaper adverts and in-store promo offers.

I recently purchased a tinned food item from Asda. On the shelf it stated on a nice display sign Buy one Get one Free. Much further along the same shelf was the same item but displaying the original pricing tag, so I asked the section manager for his comment.After a little conversation,in which he explained that I could have one or two for the same price, who do you think purchased Buy one Get one Free!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…