Steele Settlement

ened 17:37 29 Aug 08

I received a weird email about this:

Steele et al. v. PayPal, Inc. et al., Civil Action No. 1:05-CV-01720 (ILG)(VVP)

I am assuming it is some sort of elaborate con.

There is a link (repeated several times) in the mail which I have not used.

Has anyone else received something on this subject?

ened 17:40 29 Aug 08

There is quite a bit of traffic about it and one theme seems to be why would any body in Great Britain benefit from a legal action in the USA.

click here

spuds 18:37 29 Aug 08

PayPal and eBay have been changing their trading terms and conditions, and it appears as though they might want to set up an 'international' agreement arrangement. The above case, is possibly a way forward for 'international' brotherhood!.

One thing that might be worth a thought, is the purchase of items via USA sellers and UK buyers, and the way the transactions were or have been processed.

Forum Editor 18:47 29 Aug 08

brought by American PayPal users.

Roadgiant 22:01 29 Aug 08

I received this e-mail as well, interesting enough it came through on my primary e-mail address that I very rarely give out (I tend to use other address's for registrations etc).I wonder where it(the e-mail address)has been harvested from?

ened 06:22 30 Aug 08

"...it came through on my primary e-mail address that I very rarely give out"

Me too. I would like to know how they got my address.

The other thing is that it appears to be demanding action from you whichever way you want to go.

Anyway : apparently not intended to cause any harm, I shall just delete it!

spuds 10:49 30 Aug 08

On a personal note, I deal daily with eBay and PayPal on world-wide transactions including the USA, and I haven't received this email 'yet' :O((

LegendsOfBatman 21:01 31 Aug 08

The lawsuit is 100% legit. (I called PayPal and verified it with a supervisor).

The suit is valid only for US residents.
How can it help/affect Users elsewhere?
Depending on laws of other countries, I would guess it might have a huge impact. The US seems more lenient towards big businesses here, as seen by the French Court ruling against Ebay recently, where they ruled Ebay was liable for counterfeits sold on ebay. Here in the US, a NY court ruled in favor of ebay.
This would seem to suggest that perhaps PayPal and Ebay could be in trouble internationally.
I certainly hope so. :D

Tim
click here
click here

GRIDD 21:45 31 Aug 08

I haven't listed a single thing on eBay in sometime and don't think I ever will again. I have made some tiny purchases (screen protectors) that I can't find anywhere else.

I grew disgruntled selling when I listed an xbox 360 where the buyer sent emails explaing he couldn't pay yet and then subsequently ignored my emails asking when he could. I initiated a dispute after a period silence (2 weeks) but eBay closed it, the guy left me negative feedback (damn changes meant I couldn't neg him) and I was left to pay eBay £20 in fees for the "sale". A month later I got an email off them saying the buyer had been banned and that they removed the negative off my account; how kind.... I 'd have liked my £20 back for something that didn't sell!

A colleague's wife used to sell wool products and made a small income from it. He says that since the fees changes if she continued she'd make a loss. She's of the opinion that they want all the small people off. The problem is, as we see it, is small traders like us that keep the money batting about in their system by buying and selling.... and each time they take a bit as fees.

They'll see the light eventually.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now