Star Office -v- MS Office

Alan2 00:10 03 Apr 03

I would just say that for a long time I have been impatient with the Microsoft knockers as I believe MS has actually done the PC world a service by establishing de facto standards which have enabled the industry to develop at the rate it has. There have been few examples of conflicting formats - unlike the CD/DVD/HiFi industries - and this would not have occurred with the dominant role of MS.

MS simply followed in IBM's footsteps but unlike IBM they have been able to foster and adapt to the changing needs of users.

Having said all that I would agree that this dominant position has enabled them to maximise their returns, ie exploit their advantage, and keep prices high. However, they don't have a monopoly and the Sun Star Office suite does seem to offer genuine competition to MS Office by providing what the average user wants - not necessarily corporate needs - at sensible prices.

Whether I get to take part in the challenge or not I shall definitely be looking out for its findings and be guided by them when I next upgrade.

Alan.

jimv7 08:37 03 Apr 03

If you wish to try a different office application for free check out my posting

click here

Brian-336451 14:57 03 Apr 03

From what I can gather a selection of us got emails asking if we wanted to get involved in Star Office/vs the Rest office suite poll.

Is this kosher or a marketing 'stunt'?

PC Advisor. 16:23 03 Apr 03

The StarOffice project is totally kosher. It is not a marketing stunt. We contacted our most regular visitors inviting participation in the project and have allocated involvement on a first come first served basis.

The results will be written up as a feature for the July (cover) issue of the magazine - on the shelves at the end of May.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…