STAPLES - from Poor to Excellent in hours!!

Tuesday evening and in the market for a shredder. Printed off the Staples web prices and took them in hand to my local store (Eastbourne). One model I was considering was not on display but in the "Clearence section" and it was here I got the fright of my life.

It was certainly reduced from £189.00 to £169.00 but the thing was, on the Website it was listed as £69.99 Incl VAT & Del!!!

Now you may think that this was a simple error - Putting an extra "1" on the price - it was not. The machine had been ordered specially for a customer when the store was out of stock of them and the supplier who supplied Staples had charged THEM £157 plus VAT! So the reduction was on what they had been charged buy this supplier and not their list price.

However, I brought this to the attention of Staples (HO) who asked me for my phone number. I was called by the general Manager of the Eastbourne store and the problem resolved. But more than that -

I had a long discussion with him (several in fact) and left with the sincere impression that he really cared about his customers. He was not simply a "pile 'em high and sell 'em quick" retailer, he really wanted my business and wanted me to come back.

Needless to say, I left with another model of Shredder (I had been offered the original at an exceptionally good price) and knowing that I would indeed return to the store in future.

Well done Staples and special thanks to Brian Whitlock. I will be back and certain other stores could well take a leaf out of your book on Customer Services.

Stuartli 10:36 30 Nov 03

I have never found Staples "poor" - always "excellent".

It's a refreshing approach that seems to be prevalent throughout its entire branch network.

rev.bem 11:02 30 Nov 03

Hats off to Staples i have allways found the staff at my local branch to be most helpful and pleasant.

Hats off also to Smiffy99 i think knowing the right way to approach a complaint can also work wonders, a combination of pleasant firmness and a smiffy sized knowledge of consumer law will almost certainly acheive the desired result.

;-)

The thing is though, consumer law dis not come into it -

It is a popular misconception that the prices displayed on the shelves (or the goods) are those that the retailer MUST charge. this is not the case.

The prices that are displayed on the shelves (websites) etc are those that the retailer Invites you to pay. There is nothing to stop you from offering a lower price (and I would encourage you to do so). YOU then offer to purchase the goods and the retailer is still at liberty to decline.

In this case, it was a genuine error only in so far as Staples had reduced the item by the correct 10% from what Their supplier had charged. That the shredder was actually sold by them at a much lower price was unfortunate.

Even so, hats off to them for the way they dealt with it and a very satisfied customer here!!

a Staples built here in thanet!

Once i get some cash i will go and have a proper nosey round, the keyboards they have seem good value!

spuds 17:37 30 Nov 03

A little word to the wise. If you purchase a clearance or display item from Staples, be carefull about the warranty. I purchased a Medion monitor, which had been on display. Medion registered the warranty, then cncelled it two days later, "due to the monitor being used" by Staples. A number of faxes and telephone calls via Staples, Medion and myself. Eventually Staples excepted the warranty cover.I have always recommended Staples to other people, but on this occassion, blood began to boil.

oresome 20:56 30 Nov 03

I still remember my first experience of 'Smiffy99's law' over 40 years ago. I went into a local radio components store to buy an FM radio aerial. I asked the price, which was something like £3.10 shillings I didn't have enough money and headed for the door saying I would come back later. The proprieter stopped me and asked how much I had, which amounted to £3 plus bus fare home. Needless to say, he took the £3 rather than possibly not see me again. A lesson learnt which has paid dividends over the years.

"....I still remember my first experience of 'Smiffy99's law'

Good Greif...I may still have a chance of Getting into Halsburys "Laws of England" yet!!!!

Stuartli 08:52 01 Dec 03

By the way I can buy a perfectly good shredder from around £30 upwards.....:-)

spanner 12:13 01 Dec 03

Don't go in near closing time, then you see customer service?

Raywood 14:35 01 Dec 03

From what I have seen at my local Staples branch is that you do need ID to buy Microsoft Office 2003 Student/Teacher Edition.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…