Staples offers

Belatucadrus 13:06 18 Mar 05

Cybercom D330 desktop Celeron D 2.66Ghz, 80Gb disk 256Mb ram (Probably onboard graphics, add doesn't say ) DVD/CDRW combo drive, Windows XP home, Works 7.0

£199 with free £5 voucher chucked in, they've also got a Samsung 15" TFT for £109 to go with it. I doubt that I could even get the parts for that little.
How much lower will PC prices go, my original Cyrix 200 cost over £1000.

pj123 13:35 18 Mar 05

"How much lower" who can say. My friend runs a one man business building computers. His lowest priced is £230 but only has a 40gb hard drive.

As you say, you can't buy the parts unless you are a bulk buyer.

I also remember my first computer, an IBM with no hard drive at all, only two floppy 5.25 drives, 640kb memory. I wouldn't like to say what the processor speed was and it cost me £400 and that was secondhand.

Stuartli 16:39 18 Mar 05

E-buyer has the fully featured Acer T120E AMD Semptron 2600 at £249 and the Semptron 2800 version at £279 (£60 cheaper than anywhere else):

click here

In addition, Maxview 17in monitors can be had for as little as £47 new including VAT.

If it's the same Cybercom Staples was offering just over a fortnight ago, and IIRC it is, at £279 as against £329, with a CPU that's inferior to the AMD, then the second price drop provides evidence that most people are now wise enough to pay a little more and get a lot more in return.

Belatucadrus 18:11 18 Mar 05

Agree the Sempron is better than a celery, I used one in my homebuilt. But the Celeron D has double the cache of the old one and has now closed the performance gap to the sempron enough to be worth serious consideration on a budget machine. Add the extra 40Gb with the Cybercom and it's not a foregone conclusion.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…