standard disc scan big problems

virtual tour 15:13 25 Aug 03

I am having problems doing a standard disc scan if this is at all possible:) It can go on for hours and only go a small way..

Is there anyone on here that could clue me in I would be very grateful.

sil_ver 16:03 25 Aug 03

You need to shut down all running progs first. Best way is to do scandisk in 'safe mode'

Diemmess 16:57 25 Aug 03

Or even boot into DOS and run scandisk as a dos command.

If you are using Win98 and can replace the exe file with one from a WinME installation, this too will speed things for you.

wee eddie 17:32 25 Aug 03

What is your OS, and are your core programs.

The first section of Defrag is a Scan anyway, so defrag in Safe Mode is a good move.

Most obvious problems are things like Screen Savers that constantly check the clock.

virtual tour 18:22 25 Aug 03

I am not running any screensavers..I don,t know what OS is..I am running Windows Me..another thing is 'HOW DO I GET INTO SAFE MODE' I am only a novice at this PC so I need some really plain wording..thanks again for your response..

Barrie_G 18:29 25 Aug 03

to get into safe mode keep tapping F8 when you restart the pc.

wee eddie 19:02 25 Aug 03

Safe Mode, effectively opens the absolute basics. Just the Explorer Window. As Barrie_G says. When you turn the computer on. Keep your finger tapping the F8 key until you hear a 'beep'. If I remember rightly (your OS) Windows ME opens direct into Safe Mode, however you may get a screen with a list of instructions which I think Safe Mode is the 3rd down. Use the Up/Down keys to get there and click Return.

Then go to De-fragment: If you haven't done this before, it could take quite a long time. There are some that talk about several hours if it has not been done for many months.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…