Standard Dell to Super Dell??

shaneoneill 14:34 16 Feb 08

Hi All,

Please excuse me .. I am PC literate but am not thr greatest when it comes to "looking under the bonnet" as such. My work involves using programmes like PS3, Nikon Capture NX and Adobe Lightroom a lot. I can process up to 500 Raw files at a time in Lightroom .. sometimes 16GB+ of external data ... anyway the problem is sometimes I experience slowness .. I would love a PC that responds very quickly so with that in mind I am looking on the market.

However, and this is where your help might come in handy, I have a PC here that may not be too far off the mark:

It is a Dell Dimension DXP051, Intel (R) D CPU, 3.4GHz, 3.39GHz, GE Force 7300 LE with 2GB of Ram.

RAM: I know I can add this but how much more?

Processor: Is it any good? Are they easy/expensive to upgrade?

Graphics Card: Is it any good? Do I need a better one?

New/Extra Hard drive? expensive/easy to install?

OR AM I BETTER TO GET A NEW PC??!

I have a bit of a budget to do this so please fell free to make any suggestions!

Many thanks in advance,

Shane

ivesy 15:04 16 Feb 08

Hi. I have dell and find this place click here

Is a good place for specific questions about Dell Hardware. Well usually anyway!

Sj67 19:10 18 Feb 08

You have enough ram to run PS3 smoothly, Depending on if your motherboard supports it upgrading to a intel dual core cpu would speed up your pc quite abit compared to a single core intel d. The graphics card is slightly old but it shouldn't be too much of a problem. If needed you can get a good 8000 series geforce for quite cheap nowadays from Novatech or another store. A decent intel dual core cpu can be bought for sub £100 too.

shaneoneill 20:49 18 Feb 08

thanks both ...

qbie 23:54 18 Feb 08

The Pentium D in the PC is Dual Core (see click here) by the looks of it, although Upgrading to a Core 2 Duo or even Quad if the Mobo supports it would be a good idea. Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom certainly will gain a lot of advantage from those extra cores, especially for large amounts of batch processing tasks.

Hard drives are getting cheaper by the week. 750GB drives can be got for less than £100. Plus if you feel inclined you could get two of them and a RAID card if your motherboard doesn't support RAID, and set them up mirrored so you have a backup of your data.

I wouldn't worry about the graphics, as that really has no impact except for gaming.

Personally I'd be tempted to upgrade CPU if possible, upgrade to 4GB RAM, and maybe upgrade to 64-bit Windows to take advantage of the 4GB.

shaneoneill 00:13 19 Feb 08

I ended up getting this..

click here

and this to run the programmes off ..

click here

I'll use the old hard drives to store processed data on ...

GaT7 00:52 19 Feb 08

qbie, unfortunately the C2Ds or quad-cores will not work on this particular motherboard (details at click here).

Your best bet is to try an additional 1-2Gb, or RAM or buy a new PC - like this Dell Inspiron 530 click here for £379 by removing the monitor:

- Intel Quad-Core Q6600
- Vista Home Premium
- 1 Year Base Warranty
- NO 20" Wide Monitor
- 2048MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024]
- 500GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
- 128MB ATI® Radeon™ HD 2400 Pro graphics card
- 16x DVD +/- RW Drive
- Keyboard & mouse

Upgrade the 2Gb to 4Gb by getting one of these 2x 1Gb modules click here or click here for £33.

Total cost = £412

If you go through Quidco/Dell you'll get some cashback - about £13-14, making it just under £400.

The 32-bit OS won't 'see' all 4Gb - more likely 3-3.5 - but it won't do any harm either.

Don't go for 'premium' upgrades that won't give enough of a boost to warrant the extra spent. I would cancel my order with Komplett if I were you. G

shaneoneill 01:05 19 Feb 08

I meant to add that there was a new mother board included .. I think it was this one ..

click here

would that make much of a difference?

GaT7 01:27 19 Feb 08

Your first link (the bundle) already contained a motherboard.

As I said before, the premium components aren't worth the money for the intended use - the £150 motherboard & £185 hard disk are luxuries that aren't really required here. The Q6600 is better than the Phenom 9500.

You're getting a complete Dell PC, that's arguably better performing & a lot less than the cost of your upgrades. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…