SSD

smokingbeagle 12:07 31 Dec 08

Has anyone experience of using a SSD as the primary drive? Did it speed up your computer or did it cause problems?
My hard drive is failing and I propose to use a SSD click here
click here
to install Windows and use a conventional hard drive for other apps and storage.

I do realise that the price of SSDs are predicted to drop in the next few months but I need a replacement drive / new installation now.
I would be interested to hear from anyone who has tried / contemplated this configuration.
Thanks

tullie 12:50 31 Dec 08

Have i read it right and its only 32gb?

smokingbeagle 13:02 31 Dec 08

Yes 32Gb. Should be adequate for XP plus security suite etc. The second drive would be a conventional 320GB drive.

DrATty 11:58 01 Jan 09

SSD drives make most difference when data is being read. I didn't notice much difference in the speed of applications that write a lot of information to disk. It wasn't my PC so I didn't run any benchmarks. The literature shows them to be much faster than mechanical drives on paper. The difference was noticeable but not breathtaking in the real world. I'll be sticking with my RAID0 array and 'data' disks for the time being.
Note though the advantage that SSDs are more robust and are quoted as having much lower failure rates (higher Mean Time Before Failure, MTBF), though there was mention of Dell in particular having problems with them in the computer press.
Remember not to put your page file on an SSD. The advice here seems to be to turn paging off; just make sure you have plenty of RAM.
For £80 I'd probably go for it though I'd find 32Gb restrictive. Larger SSDs are very expensive. For value for money though, go for RAID0 and at least one other disk for storing data more safely; RAID0 arrays are more likely to suffer data loss because there are 2 disks to go wrong. Other RAID setups incorporate the speed advantages of RAID0 and redundancy and so are somewhat 'safer.' Do remember to back up. I have 2TB of storage (3x1Tb0) that cost £200. This arrangement is significantly faster when editing video. Obviously, the cost falls if you use smaller disks.

smokingbeagle 08:56 02 Jan 09

Thanks DrATty. Noise (or lack of, in this case) would be more of a benefit than speed. It is a Media Centre PC.
Definitely not value for money but I do wonder if the forecast reduction in prices for SSDs (and other hardware) will materialise this year due to the declining value of £ Sterling.
I might take the plunge now. I have emailed the tech staff at Crucial and according to their acknowledgement should receive a proper reply by 6/1/09.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac