Is A-Squared worth it?

MichelleC 18:01 21 Oct 06

My spyware security I think is pretty tight as several people use the pc, so I've got SpyWareBlaster, Ewido, A-Squared and Adaware. Usually Ewido picks up anything going at medium high, then Adaware, and occasionally A-squared. I run the scans every day in the evening in that order and always check for updates. But recently I've run A-Squared 1st which picks up nothing, then the others. They both pick stuff up (Ewido caught a high risk trojan) but nothing from A-S.
Is it any good?

VoG II 18:16 21 Oct 06

It is one of the best trojan detectors/eliminators that there is. Of course, if you are not infected it won't find anything.

sunny staines 19:00 21 Oct 06

A2 an excellent free spyware programme, ewido is also good. both in a high league than adaware

spuds 19:07 21 Oct 06

You will find with a2 squared, that there are usually daily updates. Compared to other programmes of similar nature, that must prove that a2 are on the ball. Good freeware program, worthy of a trial, if nothing else.

Al94 20:02 21 Oct 06

Absolutely - yes!

gudgulf 21:12 21 Oct 06

Scanning with all your amtimalware programs daily is probably excessive.........Having said that I have Defender,SpywareBlaster and Spybot S&D(immunise function) as constant realtime protection and Adaware,Spybot S&D,Ewido (AVG Antispyware now) and A2 as standalone backups.

I tend to use one of those every other day.

Well worth keeping all of them as they each have their own particular strengths.

As VoG™ says A2 is one of the best trojan eliminators.

MichelleC 08:12 22 Oct 06

But why did A2 miss a high risk trojan that Ewido picked up? I appreciate you responses but I'm still not convinced it's as good as Ewido.

spuds 10:49 22 Oct 06

MichelleC-- In theory Ewido no longer exists, it as now come under the umbrella of the Grisoft group, makers of AVG. New downloads and updates will show this. Perhaps the high risk trojan was missed, due to this changeover?.

gudgulf 12:46 22 Oct 06

You also need to bear in mind that each program will class different things as risks.

When you see a file labelled as a high risk trojan you need to look at what and where the file is......not everything is correctly identified.

For example A2 picks up a couple of files in my Acronis True Image 7 program as medium risk trojans.Thy're not.

AVG Antispyware (Ewido) doesn't detect them.

If you take the basic scan result as correct then that would make A2 better than Ewido.

It's a mistake to think that one program is better than another because it picks something up that others don't.........false positive results are one of the pitfalls of antimalware scanners....the best ones allow you to submit information about such results and/or quickly patch them in an update.It's another reason to have a multiple scanner approach....if one picks up something that all others don't it might indicate that the result is misleading.

What was the "high risk" trojan identified and where was it on your system?

A2 is one of the best and well worth having...as is Ewido (AVG).

If you are unhappy with any scanner then you are not forced to use it.......so uninstall it.

There is no 100% accurate and effective "magic bullet" solution to adware/spyware/malware.Use a selection of scanners that you are comfortable with coupled with an effective firewall and av.

MichelleC 15:55 29 Oct 06

I take back all I said about A2. 2 days ago it I ran all three scans as per usual, checking for updates first, and picked up over 340 threats with A2 from a site which purports to be legit offering 'smilies'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5