Spyware and AOL

Southernboy 14:33 26 Jun 05

AOL users will know that there is now a 'Spy Zapper' that pops up when you sign on, and searches for Spyware. In my case, it always reports in the negative.

Same yesterday. When I signed off I ran the AOL Spyware program which sits on the desktop. It reported three such programs, one being described as a Trojan! Now come neither the Zapper, nor Norton NIS picked up either?

I sometimes wonder just how safe this computer is!

HondaMan 14:38 26 Jun 05

Why not send it to AOL and post their reply on the board. They offer all these "free" add-ons, but do they really work?

CurlyWhirly 22:56 26 Jun 05

[QUOTE] They offer all these "free" add-ons, but do they really work?

I prefer the conventional approach like Spyware Blaster, Ad-aware, SpyBot, a-squared, etc.

HondaMan 20:22 27 Jun 05

Here Here

rdave13 21:35 01 Jul 05

Great ISP and I go online without using their software.
Thanks to CurlyWhirly and some problems he's had, I can now browse the net without using AOL software.
Gives my CPU breathing space.:)

pipedream 09:23 03 Jul 05

Only this week I was called out to look at a problem with a PC on which AOL Spyzapper had been kept up to date & run daily, which had picked up & removed some entries. I then installed and ran MS AntiSpyware which found & removed 145 files & entries (some quite serious) and Adaware found another 6 after this! The PC now works OK again.

wiz-king 12:51 03 Jul 05

I don't think any anti-virus is perfect, nor is any anti-spy ware or pop-up blocker come to that. You need to have one of each running alongside a firewall and the do a weekly scan with another set of programs to make sure you have not had something slip through the net. A belt & braces approach.

Carronade 02:06 09 Jul 05

Bump

O2 16:47 10 Jul 05

RDave13: I'd be interested about using AOL without their software. Do you mean you use IE and Outlook once you've logged-in? Cheers

CurlyWhirly 17:42 10 Jul 05

click here

In actual fact it *isn't* me that deserves the thanks but the people who helped me as all I did was ask the question!

Luigimario5000 19:04 10 Jul 05

My computer is slow... I dont want to use AOL browser because i am quite happy with Firefox. How do i use Firefox without AOL browser lurking in the taskbar?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…