spontaneous I.S.P closures can cause CHAOS!!!

AudioVic' 10:55 23 Feb 03

I have just returned from trying to connect a Pc to the internet. This lady, (A nurse on call) had been with the ISP for a number of years. She changed her modem, thinking it had a fault, which by coincidence it did have a fault but still capable of connections.

She has wasted time, money for my advice and the purchase of a modem. But worse, she has not received important emails and faxes relating to her work as a nurse.

There should be legislation requiring ISPs to give customers/clients a period of notice in writing by land mail, of their intention of closure/liquidation, etc.

Swinternet is to my knowledge, the latest and is the ISP that has caused this nurse "avoidable" problems.

Thank God for "GOOGLE" search! Through google I searched for "Swinternet isp". It is here that I discovered the report of closure.

spuds 11:25 23 Feb 03

The problem is with some of these closures and liquidations, whilst the management may have strong suspicions that their cash flow is not what it seems, the customers and other interested parties are the last to know.Some companies can re-arrange their finances other cannot.You only have to look at the likes of NTL.When companies fall by the wayside, it can be a disaster for many people, employees and customers alike.I can only suggest that the lady in question, contacts the liquidator of the company for further advice.

Forum Editor 11:31 23 Feb 03

is that a company may not be able to give a customer a "period of notice in writing by land mail" as you suggest.
Imagine that you are a company that's finding it tough - you're surviving but only just. That is a situation that applies to tens of thousands of companies in the UK right now.

Now imagine that you were required to tell your customers - when you reached a certain 'trigger point' (and who's to decide what that is?) - that you were likely to cease trading. The result would probably be that all those customers would promptly desert you - precipitating an immediate slide into liquidation, when you might otherwise have survived. Such a scheme would not be workable, and there often isn't the time to send out letters anyway.

Many companies have been near to bankruptcy, and by dint of careful management and hard work have gone on to survive and indeed prosper.

I'm sorry to hear about the lady in question though.

AudioVic' 00:52 24 Feb 03

Yes, I do empathise with these companies. Perhaps I spoke in haste over the annoyance.

However, perhaps a little notice on the site for a short period telling people who sign in that the isp is closing/closed. If the isp is in liquidation, perhaps the liquidators could allow this for the sake of the isp/s customers.

I am not versed in these matters, but it does seam unfair to all concerned.

Of course, I feel very sorry for the isp company and it's directors/staff too!

Thank you for your response and I promise not to post into two rooms again.

All the best from Vic'

I do think that AudioVic has some merit in what he says, but obviously not in terms of land mail. To notify say 10,000 at what is it, .28p? = Nearly three thousand quid!

However, and regardless of the "publicity implications" an email should undoubtedly be sent notifying of the closure. Hardly any expense there at all and at least the recipient can decide to arrange another ISP before its too late!

As to publicity, if your are a company that is forced to pull the plug (literally) then it matters little that you advertise the fact. Pulling the plug without notice is as bad if not worse for any potential goodwill that may be left for a purchaser of the remains as all the clients will have gone elsewhere and anyway, would not have much faith in any company that had gone under once, regardless of who now "owns" it!

I should have emphasised that I am suggesting an email be sent when the point of no return has been reached, not while desperate negotiations are in hand.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…