Speed Upgrade

rdave13 24 Mar 12
Answered

Having been used to 3 meg downlod speeds for many years I was surprised to see my profile jump to 6 meg. Living in a rural town in north Wales I never thought this would happen. I'm about a mile and a quarter away from the exchange, BT phone line and Plusnet my ISP. Anyone else had similar? This is my download speed. http://www.speedtest.net/result/1853779219.png Is this to do with the ISP's supplier or BT upgrading lines? Anyway a nice change from the usual problems you can get with BB.

john bunyan 24 Mar 12

rdave13 I have been with Pipex for about 20 years. They used to be a big multinational plc supplier. Over the years there have been takeovers, the latest being by Talk Talk. I had big spam problems a couple of years ago, and they eventually solved that. For a long time (I am on up to 8mbps) I got about 4 -5, with occasional lapses to under 1. For quite a few months now I have been getting 8 - 10 mbps. I suspect my local exchange has become ADSL2 enabled. You can check if your exchange is ADSL2 enabled (Google as I cannot lay my hands on the link)

john bunyan 24 Mar 12

Here is one:

ADSL2+ - BT exchanges

john bunyan 24 Mar 12

Far bettr as it is Plus nets one!

BT Exchange info - Plusnet

rdave13 24 Mar 12

Thanks for that but my exchange is not ADSL2 yet. The location I live at makes me think, sadly, it will be a few more years yet before that happens.

john bunyan 24 Mar 12

Another reason may be, and this happened to me a while ago, that your ISP somehow arranges for ,say, 50 people to share one "pipe" - rather like 50 baths filled from one pipe. Then they provide a bigger "pipe" or reduce rthe numbers sharing. Pipex more or less admitted this after I moaned at a senior level. Maybe they have had complaints.

rdave13 24 Mar 12

I've thought of the contention ratio but my profile has doubled to 6 Meg. I'm thinking that's it is the supplier to Plusnet that's done this. Just like having a Birthday present.

HondaMan 27 Mar 12
Answer

Just compared mine as Plusnet is alsao my ISP:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1858694221.png

rdave13 27 Mar 12

HondaMan..... not bad,,sniff.

finerty 29 Mar 12

have you tried 3 broadband works plugin in a usb dongle.

im not sure if it could benefit you. we had a couple of years then switched to virgin

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Should I upgrade to Windows 10? 8 reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 10... and 2 why you…

We are being sold the ability to spend money we don't have. And we love it

IKinema aims to banish droopy shoulders and wonky spines in animated CG characters

How to use Apple Music in the UK: Complete guide to Apple Music's features

We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message