Spec Pack A or Spec Pack B ?

nitros155 18:38 25 Aug 08

I am considering two different Desktop options from two differnt companies. I am not a heavy gamer, but a fairly heavy media editor (sometimes run the whole adobe suite at once). I will be hooking this up to a 42 inch Sharp Aquos 1080P and also using it as my home entertainment center. I am trying to dial in the correct amount of speed and power. Here are my two options. Identical Pricetags, Both have memory: 4GB DDR2-800MHz dual channel SDRAM (4x1024)

Please let me know what you think.

-A-
PROCESSOR: Intel® Core™2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB)

GRAPHICS CARD: ATI Radeon HD3870 512MB GDDR4

-B-
PROCESSOR: AMD Phenom(TM) 9650 quad-core processor (2.3GHz)

GRAPHICS CARD: 768MB NVIDIA GeForce 9600GS

version8 09:53 26 Aug 08

Spec "A"
With 4GB of RAM u will need to be running Vista.
XP does not see above 3GB.

GaT7 14:15 26 Aug 08

There's probably very little between the CPUs & GPUs, but I think the Q6600 & HD3870 combination may have the slight edge.

My main concern would be whether either of the graphics cards will be up to running the 42" TV at the required/optimum resolution. It should do, but best to confirm this at the AVForums graphics card section click here.

Btw, the 4Gb limitation is with any 32-bit version of XP/Vista. Typically these systems recognise 3 - 3.5Gb. There's no problem using more though, & Vista should do well with 4Gb as mentioned. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…