Sounds like a rip-off

Meson 16:35 06 Sep 03

In PC Advisor (Oct 2003) page 76 Microsoft's UK licensing manager Sandra Woodley notes
"You can't get Windows XP as a standalone product."

In other words the OS is preinstalled in all new machines and makers are,

"... forbidden from bundling full copies of the XP operating system on separate CDs."

If I read this correctly it means that new computers no longer come with OS discs?

Apparently though it is okay to copy OEM Windows installation to CD for installation on a new hard drive - not that I would know how to do this.

Magik ®© 16:37 06 Sep 03

what happens when it all goes down the kermit?

Djohn 16:48 06 Sep 03

Seams to be quite a lot of confusion there. Only last week Microsoft allowed me to install a OEM XP to a new PC, also they have told me it's perfectly OK to pass on an OEM version of a Works suite office program to another user, Providing it's been removed from my PC. :o(

Djohn 16:53 06 Sep 03

HP Compaq do provide XP pr-installed to their systems with a restore CD, but also provide a sealed version of XP and all programs/drivers as well. Or they were doing up until last week that I know of, don't think they have changed their policy. j.

interzone55 17:01 06 Sep 03

1) The OEM pre-install of Windows is generally specific to the model it is installed on. It will (or should) have all the correct drivers for hardware installed in your PC. The hidden partition will also contain any other pre-installed software, live PowerDVD or Nero. So to answer your question, if you can find the hidden partiton (using Partition magic to unhide it) you can then copy this to a new drive & hide it again, but I can't guarantee that your recovery CD will work on the new drive.

2) Kermit - you use a) the recovery CD that came with your PC, or b) if your HDD dies you take advantage of your manufacturers premium rate phone lines and book your PC in for a new drive, or c) find a dodgy mate with an "off-site back-up" of XP to help you out or d) dump windows altogether and get Red Hat Linux, more stable, comes with shedloads of software, and it's free (or very cheap)

interzone55 17:06 06 Sep 03

That would be for XP Pro, where manufacturers are allowed to ship the CD. You see corporate clients (who would be the most likely XP Pro buyers) are more trustworthy, despite the fact that a recent survey found 80% of companies were using unlicensed software.

Djohn 17:13 06 Sep 03

Yep! you are correct regarding the version of XP. Sorry, I overlooked that bit. j.

seedie 17:24 06 Sep 03

"You can't get Windows XP as a standalone product."

Ye gods. One can only buy an upgrade yet the full product is on the disk?

Well, just to add fuel to the fire....

I have a local PC shop who are excellent in letting me have bits and pieces at very short notice and at cost + 10%. I therefore am in there quite a bit. They have literally a pile of XP Home edition disks waiting to be installed onto the PC's they build.

If it were "Forbidden" to provide the disks why the hell does Microsoft provide them in such large quantities for such retailers/small manufacturers. Surely, what they would do is provide a disk that would create a hidden partition and a restore disk?

No - full bundled copies of XP home are available in quantity - it is just the larger firms that use the restore CD method as it has a siginificant price advantage (to them).

Just to clarify - I AM talking about XP Home OEM versions - only to be supplied with a new PC.

interzone55 15:19 07 Sep 03

Small builders do have access to disks, and are allowed to bundle them with the PCs, some large builders do as well (I think Evesham will give you an OEM disk if you ask for one) it's just that they don't get the fantastic discount that the large builders enjoy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…