Soundcard advice - for recording Guitar

Rikardos 14:51 07 Apr 04

Having had no end of trouble with my Terratec 6fire DMX 24/96 card (high-pitched whistling being recorded on any tracks I am creating), I am looking at other models.

I am particularly looking at the AUDIGY 2 ZS PLATINUM PRO as it has an external sound connection box which might solve my high-pitched noise problem (as it is probably electrical interference).

Just before I take the plunge, are there any owners of this who would relate their experiences or indeed, anyone else who would recommend a different soundcard they are happy with?

Many thanks

Stuartli 15:48 07 Apr 04

About six months ago I was given a SoundBlaster Live! sound card which, I knew, had been used by a guitar playing enthusiast...:-)

I was told that the line in socket was probably kaphut as a result but, to my amazement, it still works perfectly with various device inputs.

Personal thought was that it would have been overloaded signal wise using it with a guitar but obviously not the case.

These guitar recording links should prove helpful:

click here

click here

click here

Gaz 25 22:23 07 Apr 04

If its a Classical Guitar, then I would suggest a Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro. Since my Dad is a professional Guitarist, I use this card to record all his tracks, as well as play my music into a high end sound system.

It sounds excellent and have no quibbles over this card, worth every penny.

The interferance can be solved by using a Ferrtie Core.

Gaz 25 22:24 07 Apr 04

Ferite Core, I meant.

Gaz 25 22:39 07 Apr 04

Oh I spelt it wrong again.

Im not even going to attempt it another time.

Rikardos 23:34 08 Apr 04

Sorry - should have specified - I'm using an electric guitar (plugging it straight into the Mic socket).

What's this about a Ferrite Core? How do you go about getting this/using it?

Many thanks

Gaz 25 22:09 13 Apr 04

Sorry I didnt reply earlier...

Ok. An electric guitar, thats fine. Long as you dont set the input volume to the audigy too high, then this is safe.

Ensure that there is no distortion, let the audigy amplify the signal.

Anyway, a ferrite core comes with most electricals. Its a little round thing on the cable which has ferrite inside to stop any RF interferance or any EI (electrical interferance).

I would have thought maplins would do this.

It may not solve it though, it an idea.

Also, if yuor serious about quality then get the most expensive audio gold leads you can afford.

I tend to use QED for my sound system. £150/m

Stuartli 10:31 14 Apr 04

..."I tend to use QED for my sound system. £150/m"...:-)))

We're not all millionaires you know and, in the case of a sound card and a PC system, using expensive leads, whether gold-plated or not (I'd want diamonds as well at that price), it's unlikely that much, if any, sound quality difference would be noticeable......

Unless, of course, you mean £1.50 a metre.....:-)

QED?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…