Sound cards - views

Pine Man 08:59 22 Mar 08

I have had enough of Creative sound cards. Ever since I have had Vista I have had problems and now Vista SP1 doesn't like the software for my card and won't even load.

I don't require fantastic sound just enough to make my Inspire 580 5.1 speakers talk to me nicely.

I have found Terratec Aureon sound cards which appear to fit the bill and they do 5.1 & 7.1 PCI cards that are Vista compliant.

Anybody any views or can recommend alternatives for up to about £30.

carver 10:51 22 Mar 08

Why not check your mobo in case it has an intergrated sound chip, in which case you wil not nead a sound card.

The problem with Vista is that dosn't seem to like any sound cards so you could spend more money to be in the same position.

Pine Man 14:58 22 Mar 08

Mobo has got onboard sound but none of the software I have tried has been particularly effective.

It isn't all creative cards that cause a problem it's just the software for a number of them that has issues.

Zeppelyn 21:27 22 Mar 08

Which software are you referring to? I have a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi which works perfectly with both Vista 32 and 64 bit. Must admit I only ever install the drivers, console and diagnostics but none of the media bloatware.

Pine Man 08:26 23 Mar 08

It's listed as P17.sys on the Microsoft site and in my case refers to some of the Audigy series of sound cards.

Pine Man 14:14 23 Mar 08

Decided to give Creative one more chance and try an XFi Extreme.

Zeppelyn 18:12 23 Mar 08

Im sure all will be well, come back if there is a problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac