Sound cards, graphics cards and speakers

Handy Spinner 13:30 01 Jan 04

Looking to spend about £35 on speakers, and probably the same for a sound card.

Will probably go for the Altec Lansing 221 speakers, as recommended in PC Advisor, but the sound card recommended there (Feb 2004) I can't find anywhere - the Hercules PCI GameSurround. Is this the same as the Fortissimo III?

What other options do people recommend? I use my PC for music and games, but I really am not bothered about sound for the games.

And graphics cards? If I get one, it will have to be a PCI card (no AGP slot) - what do people recommend there?

A Geforce 3/4 TI that is PCI based...

sdf 14:21 01 Jan 04
  Handy Spinner 14:33 01 Jan 04

Actually, those speakers look quite good. Do you use them? How do they compare to the Altec I mention above?

Though I must add, 5.1 is the least of my concerns...so how are they otherwise?

On tuesday i can give you a first hand bit of experience with them!

sdf 14:53 01 Jan 04

Ive got some on order, I just thought for the price I dont have much to loose! I at the moment have some Creative 5300 and am keep to be rid of them. Im my experience, as i know many would aggree the only way to get a real idea of speakers is to hear them. Take a trip to PC world or elsewhere and hear them working - what is said speakers do and what they actually do is vastly different!

Handy Spinner 15:00 01 Jan 04

Are they likely to compare to a 2 speaker + subwoofer system like the Altec?

Handy Spinner 15:03 01 Jan 04

And what about sound cards worth about £35?

sdf 15:09 01 Jan 04

Creative Sound Blaster Live. £35 from Novatech

Handy Spinner 15:15 01 Jan 04

You have experience of that card?

sdf 15:24 01 Jan 04

I got Audigy Platinum Ex - but still Creative. Ive heard lots of good things about the Live though

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…