Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS - Sounds Awful!

mrgrimsdale 23:46 25 Nov 04

Is it me or does the sound quality on the SB Audigy 2 ZS I've just spent £65 on stink?

Sure ... games do not slow down quite as much in complicated audio environments ... but the audio when (for example) playing movies back is awful - noticably worse than my old Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1.

Dunno how to describe it but it's sort of like a high quality mp3 ... perhaps something to do with the resampling from 44.1kHz to 48kHz for CD quality audio that the Audigy does ... being for some reason incapable of playing most samples at their normal rate?

Cook2 01:32 26 Nov 04

Test it by going to Start - Run and type in DXdiag, you'll be able to check your sound and video.

mrgrimsdale 02:27 26 Nov 04

The card seems to 'work' fine ... there's less background noise on when I play stuff ... it just sounds ... well ... wierd ... compared to my old sound card and aging NAD amplifier based hifi that is. THe NAD isn't connected to my PC ... but it is the only other near reference to CD audio soudn I have.

AnthonyB 02:28 26 Nov 04

..or: Control Panel>sound & audio devices>Performance tab>Hardware acceleration "FULL">Sample rate conversion quality "BEST"

mrgrimsdale 02:33 26 Nov 04

And it's already set as you suggest AnthonyB.

The rest of the system is 2600+ AthlonXP, 1Gb RAM, ATI 9800Pro, 120GbHDD.

Danoh 22:44 27 Nov 04

Which speakers do you have?

My son chose the I-Trique 2.1 for his Audigy 2 ZS Platinum as he could not be bothered with the standard 5.1/6.1/7.1 surround sound, focussing just on the best sound quality for money instead.

I have to admit to being amazed by the sound ~ started playing a collection of CDs through them! I found the stereo pair best in free space and well away from any rear walls though.

GaT7 01:59 28 Nov 04

1. Try these t'shooting tips - click here &
click here.

2. See their FAQs or search their knowledgebase - click here (search box at the bottom).

3. Use the Creative forum -click here.

4. Contact Creative customer support - click here.

5. Have you registered your sound card? You may get better support if you do - click here to register (above link is if you are in the UK, otherwise click here). Good luck & let's know how you get on. G

Sans le Sou 22:59 28 Nov 04

Hello have you got the graphic equaliser presets enabled with an inappropriate setting listed. Maybe playing a bit with the sliders may give you a sound more compatible with your room.

Djohn 02:12 29 Nov 04

Sans le Sou makes a good point. Have you checked to make sure that none of the dozens of "Sound Effects" are enabled? Best sound is usually when set to "None" The ones I refer to are [Hallway-Theatre-Bathroom-Canyon, etc.

They can be amusing for some sound effects but will spoil good quality music.

Sans le Sou 19:42 29 Nov 04

Are you using mediaforce, only you may have the timescaling enabled, this will speed up or slow down the playback. If there is a green ring round the clock symbol and the slider is not in the middle then you will getsome time variations. Also more audio effecte in the EAX consul if this is enabled.

luvbigguns 03:11 02 Dec 04

Sorry M8 that card is not so good with s/n ratios, dynamic range, and frequency response.
Its frequency response is not flat, so it will alter the dynamics.
It will probably sound quite bassy.
Check Toms Hardware for a comparison.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…