sorry audio issue, 5.1 home cinema vs mini system

Giggsy252 14:42 06 May 06

Hi at the moment i am playing my music through my hifi via a pc.

But i want a system with a bit more power and seeing that the 5.1 DVD home cinema sound system can provide 500RMS for about £200 whereas with a hifi, you can only get about 200watts RMS for the same budget.

I was intending to play my music through the DVD system via phono inputs.

Any thoughts on this? Any drawbacks and benefits from the two options.

VideoSentry 14:51 06 May 06

Giggsy252, If your DVD has 5.1 output I would go for it, but dont turn it all the way up! 500RMS is very very loud!
Prior to purchasing try and listen to the system first as though it may be 500RMS, what about distortion and S/N ratio?

Depends what you want, if sound quality is the main criteria, go for a standard hi-fi system. A good /budget hi-fi, well set up will knock spots off most cinema sound systems. If you want to hook up the telly to the system, go down the cinema sound route. I've got an ageing amp that puts out about 50 watts rms and you can hear it half way down the road, if it's turned up full.

Giggsy252 17:08 06 May 06

cheers for yours comments, yeh the dvd home cinema is all in one inclusive system with the speakers included.

click here

click here

here some i am considering.

may sound like a daft question, is music best intended for 5 speakers or 2 ??

cheers

wee eddie 17:19 06 May 06

If you put your music through those tiny speakers, all you will get is squeaks. Admittedly quite loud squeaks, but squeaks none the less.

Take a look at the impedance on the back of your hi-fi speakers. Then purchase a decent sized pair (Our local auction room sold a pair of Warfdales with 10" woofers, the week before last, for £11.00) of speakers.

Feed your PC through the HiFi. You'll be blown away by the sound whether it's Rock or Mozart.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…