Sony's excessive repair costs

My wife's 3 year old Sony Vaio laptop died and we sent it back to Sony, paying a fixed fee of £160 upfront before they would take it. Sony have just phoned to say the laptop needs a new motherboard which will cost, wait for it, a further £440. That's £600 to replace a motherboard.Are they gold plated?

Obviously we will not be having the work done as it's cheaper to buy a new laptop but is this just a ploy by Sony to sell more computers by making repairs prohibitively expensive?

Stuartli 14:50 10 Jan 08

Try click here (based about 10 miles from where I live).

Plus click here

As well as selling new and secondhand laptops, it also supplies spare parts and undertakes repairs.

I'm sure it could well prove financially beneficial compared to Sony's repair charge.

Stuartli 14:52 10 Jan 08

A secondhand Toshiba Satellite laptop one of my offspring purchased from this outlet developed a screen fault about a year after she acquired it.

Fortunately it was still covered by Toshiba's then three-year warranty and Toshiba picked up the £600 repair and labour charges from one of its own repair centres without quibble.

Thanks Stuart, I'll e mail them. I would fit a new motherboard myself but it seems that getting hold of Sony parts is almost impossible

amonra 16:16 10 Jan 08

Unfortunately in the last year or two, most Sony products have been hiked in price so such that they are no longer value for money. The products still work well, but the competition offers better value.

Stuartli 17:23 10 Jan 08

My best mate used to run an independent audio/video/appliances outlet until retiring - he often said that although Sony products are of very high quality, they are extremely difficult to repair and the spare parts hard to obtain.

CatTrading 17:47 10 Jan 08

Buy a copy of Micro Mart on sale at good newsagents on a Thursday.
Plenty of adverts inside for Laptop repairs.

To be honest for a 3 year laptop i would ask Sony to send it back to you.
You can get the data off it & £440 would practially buy you a new laptop!

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:59 10 Jan 08

Are you covered by household insurance?

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos